+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Butterfly Houses

Butterfly Houses

We would like to buy/build several buttefly houses because we seem to have a lot in this area but we also have wasp, dirtdobbers, and yellow jackets ... which build nest everywhere we don't want them. If anyone knows of a way to keep them away without hurting the butterflys ..please let me know.

Thanks,

Jim

Not much of a method....but....

Hi Jim,

We too have the same problem here, don't have much of a cure, but it sort of works, at least for a little while.

We have a baby swing outside for Bradley, & for some reason they seem to take up home all around this area. I dare not spray a nest of them until I've killed several.

I get out the bug spray and start chasing one around the yard until I have a good shot at it, and then I run away!!!!!!!!!

After I've done this techinque a couple of times the nest (I will check it first)is close to empty, I'll spray really really fast and then RUN, RUN, RUN, again. Only this time inside the house I go!
    It is usually safe to return outside in about 20 min.

Okay so call me chicken!
    Kathy in Ga.
    I don't believe in that stand still stuff! Been stung too many times that way!

Jim,

We were given one of the cute butterfly houses, but actually, I don't think ours worked because I never see butterflies going in or out of it. It is more of a garden ornament...

We have lots of bees, and I don't like to spray because I don't want to discourage them or the butterflies. There are several organic, non pesticide solutions. I will try to do some research for you and come up with some alternatives.

Perhaps, someone else has some good ideas!

Meanwhile, unless they are near the garage door or other doors, in my greenhouse or an area where Hunter might get stung, I just usually leave them alone.

I'll see what I can come up with...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

More Information

When using a pesticide in your lawn and garden, use it late in the afternoon or early in the evening when the less harmful bees and butterflies have stopped feeding. Always, always read the label and follow directions.

Here is one of many helpful links:

http://vector.ifas.ufl.edu/chapter_07.htm

Below is a link to an online company that sells both pesticides and biological controls (including a yellow jacket trap):

LandscapeUSA.com

If you access LandscapeUSA through a link on my site, I do receive a commission when you buy, but you must purchase via accessing it through my site rather than going to it directly. After you click to enter, go to pest control, then click on insect control. Use the back button to return to this page when you are finished with this one.

Enjoy and Hope This HELPS!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread