+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What can we start now?

What can we start now?

Had good sucess starting the hardy hibiscus from seed and wonder if there is anything that I can start now in pots.

I am in the process of making another bed and there will be plenty of room in the near future.

Thanks,

Jim

Smile What do you have?

Hi jimtx,

Just wondering what kind of plants you have.
    Are you wanting to start more from seed or more from clippings, or division?

Gosh, there are many things that can be done now, if you have the plants.

It's really hard to give a list of things you could be doing without knowing what you are interested in, and what you are looking for.

This is my first year growing with the intentions to sell. I have gotten a very late start this year. But do continue to do more.

You have a very long growing season since you are in such a warm humid climate, so many things can be done.

Just provide a list of your interests!
    Kathy in Ga

what can we start now

Kathy,

Thanks for the reply.

This is our (wife directs .. I dig) first year to garden. we have roses and mandevillas ... tropical hibiscus ... clemantis ... a new and full daylily bed (which we probably should have spread out into other beds but didn't) and a perennial bed with a few annuals in it.

Then we have the new bed ... which should be finished in a little while ... it is a fairly large ..round bed. Not sure what we will put in it but the height can't be too great because it would block out another bed if we use tall plants.

As far as knowing what we are doing .... we don't ... Ann has helped a whole lot and the members of the garden web filled our daylily bed. But, we are having a good time.

I enjoyed starting the hardy hibiscus from seed and would like to do some more of that ... I would also like to learn how to root cuttings .. so I am open for that.

I would imagine that for the next year or so ... we will be trying plants and if we don't like them or they don't do well for us (AKA ... we kill them) ... we will get rid of them.

Probably didn't answer ur question but we are just stumbling along .... and the beds actually look pretty good ... at least to us.

Thanks again,

Jim

Perennials from Seed in the Fall for the Southern climate

For the newbies, perennials are plants that die down to the ground in the winter and come back up in the spring. Annuals die back and will only come back from seed in the spring.

Jim, here's a list that will work for the South and some in the North. There many others, but this will get you started. Most need to be planted 12 weeks before the ground freezes (to establish roots that will survive the cold).

Coneflower - Prairie (yellow)
    Coneflower - Purple (echinacea)
    Coneflower - White
    Coneflower - Mexican Hat
    Sea Holly - Blue Cap
    Oriental Poppy
    Candytuf
    Columbine
    Sweet Pea
    Foxglove
    Chinese Lantern
    Thrift
    Flowering Cabbage
    Coreopsis
    Yarrow (achillea)
    Monarda
    English Daisy
    Liatris
    Coreopsis
    Pansy
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

What can we start now?

Ann,

thanks ... now if I can just find some who is still selling the seeds .. will see what I can do.

Sending an order to Lee Valley today for some of the necessities.... man can't work without the proper "tools".

Jim

A few More

Jim,

Here are a few more:

Penstemon (Bearded Tongue)
    Lunaria (Money Plant)
    Wild Flax

Do a search on 'seed catalog', and you will find lots of seed companies.

I have purchased from Park's Seed, Burpee and Johnny's Seed online.

Have FUN!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Smile That's a big Start

Hi jimtx,

Your yard sounds lovely! You certainly have many beautiful flowers.
    Have you done any dividing, or tunication yet? You have many that you can propagate this way!

Ann gave you a very good list of seeds to start with. Seeds offer a great challenge, and sounds like you've done really great with them.

Unfortunatley, i am one of those people that can never get a seed to grow. Even with the proper directions. I think my patience level might have a little to do with that also!

I know of a great tool that would certainly help you along with clippings. Clippings are what I'm really into.
    I'm waiting on a reply at the moment before I give you the information.

I do not want to spam this board...
    So I have written an email requesting permission.

I just wanted to let you know that I haven't forgotten about your post.
    Keep having fun!
    Kathy in Ga.

It's Okay, but I've Already Done It

Kathy, I am leaving this board open for products, books, etc. unless it becomes a real problem. I think it is good to share this type of information.

Enjoy!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread