+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Basic Reproductive Flower Anatomy - Preliminary Edition

Basic Reproductive Flower Anatomy - Preliminary Edition

As promised, I have completed the first edition of the Basic Reproductive Flower Anatomy pages. Please review these pages and feel free to ask questions and make comments and/or suggestions.

This is a preliminary version of the pages. They are long and will have to be split into more pages, but I wanted you to have the opportunity to take a peak at them now.

Just click on the page links below:

http://www.landspro.com/page1005.htm

http://www.landspro.com/page1010.htm

And I hope you will enjoy and learn from what you see.

Please let me know what you think!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

posting it!

Ann B.
    Thank You for posting that information on the flower anatomy.
    This will help greatly. Now my question is...Sterile environment.

In order to creat my own flower, how do I do this?
    I do not have a green house,, and from what you stated earlier. I need to have a sterile environment. Any ideas on establishing a sterile environment for this development?

Also do you have to use two flowers from the same genre, species?
    And how do you get results? Once you have fertilized the flower do you then have to wait for it to bloom and collect the seed then plant the seed to get the results you are hoping for? Or will it naturally bloom the new color/new flower type?

My question is.....Huh?
    Thanks,
    Kathy in Ga.

Kathy,

The plants must be related in order for them to produce seed.

If you are successful at producing a new color/variety, you will have to wait for the seed, then plant it and wait for it to bloom to see what you have created.

You do not need a sterile environment in most cases. I think that what you are referring to is isolating the bloom from being pollinated by wind or insects. To do this, just cover the bloom with something like layers of cheese cloth or a brown paper lunch bag. Make sure that the material you use to isolate the flower will allow the flower to get oxygen.

You will have to cover the bloom before it opens, uncover it, hand pollinate it, then cover it again. The new plants will inherit the dominate genes and not all of them will be identical.

Some flowers can be pollinated by their own pollen, others can be pollinated from another flower on the same plant, some require the pollen to come from a flower on a different plant, and it gets even more complicated because some types of plants require a male plant and a female plant to accomplish pollination. It helps to know the plant you are trying to hybridize.

Enjoy!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Wink ThanK You

Alrighty then,

Seems simple enough to do the pollinating, Now I just need to do some research on the plants (flowers) I'd like to pollinate.

I know some plants do require the male & female. But Wouldn't have thought about that with flowers. Thanks For the info that is Great!

Kathy in Ga.

About a name? sort of...

Okay, now that I think I have enough info to create my own flower.
    If I do have a plant that is patented, and I alter that plant by pollinating it with another (same species) different color, does that then make this plant I created my very own creation? Can I then sell this plant without fear?

Another question...How can anyone tell if you are selling one of their patented plants? Do they do lab tests?

How exactly does that happen?
    I'm not looking to sell anything illegally, just wondering.
    Thanks
    Kathy in Ga.

Patent Laws and Patent Database

Kathy,

You always ask the toughest questions...

Having never patented a plant, I cannot answer the legal questions. Did you know that there are attorneys that specialize in Patents?

However, here is a patent database site that I think may be of interest to you:

http://www.uspto.gov/patft/index.html

After you go to this site, click on Quick Search under Patent Grants, then search using the patent name or number. For example, try

Mister AND Lincoln AND rose

You will get a patent pending result of 'Scarlet Star' whose parents are Mister Lincoln and Red Fountain. Read it, and I think you will learn a lot about the requirements of a patent.

It is my understanding that the Mister Lincoln patent has run out of time, but it is still a trademarked name. Someone can correct me if I am wrong.

Have FUN!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread