African violets can be propagated by what is known as 'leaf petiole' cuttings which is the leaf with an inch or two of stem still attached. They can either being rooted in water, keeping the leaf above the water level at all times, or you can do as I do and root them similar to the method I use for Rex begonia leaf cuttings with the exception that it is best to leave the leaf whole and just put the stem in the soiless mix.

I use rooting hormone. Most professionals will say not to, but that is my preference. My theory is that I want to promote root growth because they will bloom better if they are root bound.

They prefer to remain in a very small pot compared to their leaf size. They will bloom and stay healthier if the roots touch the insides of the pot. If there is too much soil for the roots, there alse appears to be more chance for root rot from the excess moisture retained by the extra soil. The same holds true for Rex Begonias. In both cases when it comes to pot sizes, smaller is better.

Some say it is best to water from the bottom and never let water splash on the leaves, but a trick I learned many years ago is that by using lukewarm water poured directly on top of the soil and allowed to dray, it doesn't seem to harm the leaves if water gets on them. I water my Rex Begonias the same way.

A Master Gardening friend tipped me on a product called Optimara Violet Food. I ordered some, tried it, and in my opinion, she is right. This specific African Violet food won an award a few years back because it worked so well. I don't recall which award. Here's a link to find out more about Optimara, click on price list when you are ready to find out the cost:

Optimara Plant Care Products

If you choose to water from the bottom, I would still use lukewarm water, actually, the temperature of a prepared bottle of baby formula for infants. A wick will also help to get the water level to rise inside the pot. The pot should never be immersed in water, and you should let them dry out slightly in between watering. African violets do not let wet 'feet' (roots) or soggy soil.

African Violets will frequently produce small plantlets next to the base of the plant. These should be removed or the parent plant will suffer. If care is taken, they can be removed in such a way that they can be planted in a small pot and treated the same as a other plant. You will most likely have to remove the parent plant from it's pot in order to accomplish this without harming either plant.

One last note, not all African Violets propagated using leaf petiole cuttings will be a identical (clone) to the mother plant. This is especially true in the multi-colored flowered ones as well as the variegated varieties.

I am sure there are other tips, and hopefully some others will add to these.

Have FUN!