+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Inexpensive Greenhouse Plans - Learning More Before You Decide

Hi All. Just a comment on one of the greenhouse plans in your post. I finished building a 12' x' 24' greenhouse using the first set of plans in your post. Total cost about $100. I had much of the wood for framing on hand, though. If I had to buy wood for framing, I figure about another $75. So far, it's working like a champ, except that my door isn't plumb, but it opens and closes as it should.
    Dianne in Oregon Zone 7 or 8 depending on what map you look at

Thanks!

Thanks, Diane!

The price of wood has really gone up this year. It probably has something to do with the price for gasoline which has sky rocketed here...

What kind of plastic did you use? I used the cheap stuff (not uv rated greenhouse plastic) on my temporary leanto and the plastic started splitting at the folds after 4 months. I will not be using it again next year.

Many of the nurseries here make sort of a flap door out of the plastic, roll it up and fasten it when they need access and on warmer days. They are not using PVC, though and do not need the sturdiness provided by the wood on the ends of the greenhouses.

Thanks, again!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Well, the price of gas has hit $2.11 for reg here in Oakridge. As far as the plastic goes, I used a 4-mil painters drop cloth. I got a 24' x 100' roll for about 25$ and still half of it left (stored away from sunlite). I used 6-mil on the last greenhouse that a heavy snow storm flattened and I hadn't had any problems with that plastic either. I'll let you know if I have problems with this 4-mil. I checked with AM Leonard about some plastic, but was told that it wasn't recommended for pvc greenhouses and it was a lot more money. I got used metal screening for the top half of the door and the same area in the other end for ventilation. Sure wish that I could roll up one or both sides. It's warmish in there on a sunny day.

WOW!

$2.11!!!!!

It is running about $1.75 here. I'll have to stop buying lunch in the school cafeteria if it goes above $2.00! LAS!!!

I am not sure why this plastic performed so poorly. It does state "Not for Greenhouse Use" on the outside of the package. The plastic didn't get very much sun during the winter. It is on the North side of the house, so the late afternoon sun is blocked by the high roof line.

One thing for sure.... I will not take the chance next year. I will buy a roll of greenhouse plastic from BWI and have it delivered. There are many other supplies that I need on a regular basis, and they deliver for free if the order is large enough.

When I build a bigger greenhouse, it is highly unlikely that I will use PVC. The cheaper PVC simply does not do well during our summers. I built these little sprinkler bases using PVC (not UV rated) and they split and went to pieces after one summer in the sun.

Also, tropical storms and hurricanes are a huge factor. By the time you brace a PVC structure here good enough to withstand those typical high winds in the summer and fall, you might as well have purchased something stronger.

I'm not sure what I am going to do yet. I am just pleased that my plants made it using this temporary lean-to this past winter.

Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Hi, I used schedule 3/4 " 80 pvc on current greenhouse with a 1/2" electric conduit inside ridge pole. The plan that I used recommended it. Took me a while to find it but I finally did find it for about 20 cents a foot in 20' lengths. I had to cut it to 10' to get it on my minivan to take home which was not a problem since I had to cut it to 10' lengths for the greenhouse anyway. I have used some sch 200 pvc and found that it got brittle very easily. Schedule 40 is much more durable and not much more expensive, maybe 30-50 cents per 10' length. I do agree with you that in your climate, a metal frame would be a good idea. Oregon rarely gets tornados and our winter storms, while they are pretty bad sometimes, don't compare with a hurricane of any magnitude. AM Leonard has a greenhouse brochure that is free and covers metal frames, coverings and fastenings. I know that you hear Mike McGroarty talk about them all the time. Well, I've gotta go. Take care and keep planting.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2