+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Using the calendar

Threaded View

Using the calendar

Ann-is there any way the calender in Landspro could be used like a notebook, or is it just something to view what birthdays and all have been entered from your end (which is great, too!).

I know that proper recordkeeping is sooooo important when experimenting with propagation, but I must confess to doing almost none of it from day to day. Just looking for a tool, like maybe your calender, where I could write notes to refer to in future days and years. I know my computer has some kind of calender like that too, but I log onto Landspro every day so it would be super handy while my minds on the garden stuff anyway.

Any tips?--Glen

Yes

Glen,

You can use the calender to keep track of personal events of any kind. It is your private calender. No one can see your private events except you.

Enjoy!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Glen,

Your comment about record keeping being so important is the reason I am commenting on your question.

The calendar feature will work to keep notes, and can be referred to and recalled. and presents a fairly good title summary by date. However, I think it would be wise to consider that you are storing your data on someone else's computer and when it's down, so is your calendar. There doesn't seem to be a way of transferring that data from Ann's computer to yours, nor is there a convenient way to print from it.

Now, I think we all know that we can trust Ann, and have great respect for her computer and horticultural knowledge. But what happens to your data if her computer suddenly crashes, or she determines not to continue Landspro.com? Will all your "important Notes" be lost to you?

When I find a thread that has particular interest to me, I simply highlight it, copy, and then paste it into a word processing file on my machine. That way, I have the option of referring to it until I determine that it is no longer of interest to me.

Just a suggestion before you invest a great deal of effort in recording on the calendar.
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

calendars

Ann, Tom and all-thanks for all your help and thoughts.

Maybe I'm just trying to kick myself in the pants to stick a calendar on the wall just for the gardening stuff and scribble notes on it each day I do something important. I did a few of those last year, and it would eventually help to see what dates for sticking cuttings, etc. worked best over the years.

Experience is some kind of teacher, might as well take advantage of it. I'm trying to remember way too much stuff that I shoud have just written down instead. Bad boy!--Glen in BC

Reply to Glen RE CALENDARING

Hi, Gleno! Nice to see you on here! I just wanted to share with you a method I have recently found by accident to keep propagating notes and updates, which I knew about but didn't think of in relation to that on my own computer. This assumes that you have MICROSOFT WINDOWS 98 or later on your computer. It may also work with Windows 95 which I have just stepped up from, I don't want to go more modern because I am old, don't like to have the learning curve and am a treehugger when it comes to taking my good old favorite software away from me!

USE THE WORDPAD as a storage area.

START - PROGRAMS - ACCESSORIES - WORD PAD

This has almost unlimited storage, and is better than a text editor because if you store your document using RICH TEXT or .rtf format, it will print out correctly on your printer and you do not have to have any kind of line end coding or anything to do like that.

Once I worked for the engineers at Public Service of Colorado, the construction group Stone Wheeler, and also the Drilling Engineers at Arco and they used this Endless List Concept to keep up with their weekly updates, which were just added onto weekly, what steps they had taken toward completion, and when you reviewed the list, it also would, by project number, give you all the steps you had taken. I guess it is feasible that you could end the list when it got too bulky or unmanageable for you and just start another .rft document under the same name as "filename2.rft" to continue on. Perhaps make one for spring, summer, fall, winter seasons, would help keep its size manageable.

I set mine up in the form of a MASTER TO DO LIST for the garden, all the things I want to get around to do and hope to do before I die, and then go in and UPDATE each with a date of when I actually took some action on that part of the list. It is more convenient, I found, to start with no. 1 at the bottom, add no.2 above that, and as each item on your list increments, have the most recent addition and highest number at the top of the list as it would likely be the thing you are currently working on or concerned about. Then when you want to update, you just go back and find the original To Do note you made for yourself.

It has good possibilities, do you think something like that might work for you. One thing I like about it is that you can work on your notes offline. All you have to do is go to
    START-PROGRAMS-WORDPAD-FILE and your latest document you were working on will be in a list at the bottom so you can just click on it, and not have to be on the internet!
    Marguerite, GrannyGarden
    www.kirbyville.net
    www.tex-la.net

Calender , log , book , notes .

Until about 3 years ago I used Microsoft works - has a data base , word processor , spreadsheet and drawing program built-in . -[ Retired now ]
    I used it because they had it at work and it also came in a Mac version .
    Anyway I have switched to Appleworks - it cost to much to upgrade MS Works .
    I back-up my notes about once a month to an external hard-drive .
    I also got Ilife for my picTures .
    I don't use any special software - just copy the folder to hard-drive - go eat supper - come back and throw away the month's before - IE - this month I threw June in trash , so I still have July and August on hard drive .
    Same thing with pictures .
    I use Safari and do the same with my bookmarks - but just hit export button .
    I did set up folders ahead of time on spare hard drive -
    Appleworks 3 06
    Appleworks 4 06
    Appleworks 5 06
    Appleworks 6 06
    PHOTOS 3 06
    PHOTOS 4 06
    PHOTOS 5 06
    PHOTOS 6 06
    PHOTOS 7 06
    bookmarks 4 06
    bookmarks 5 06
    bookmarks 6 06
    THIS WAS SO IT WAS QUICKER .
    Afterwards I turn off hard-drive . Once a year I copy everything to spare hard drive as a back-up .
    On sunday morning's I tell the hard drive to Defrag-[ on Mac it's optimize ] Then go to church - I have to start-up from a CD/DVD to do this .

Roy,

You are really organized! Good ideas!

Thanks!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Gee, you guys make me feel bad. I kept a clipboard hanging in the greenhouse for notes and dates when I had a greenhouse. Now I have a Journal in my computer desk.
    I did do a database of all my propagation info to help my daughter with a school project where she had to do a database. Then she did something else. So I'm still using pen and paper. Maybe this winter I will get in this century and put it all on computer.
    tennessee sue

+ Reply to Thread