+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Heirloom plants

Question Heirloom plants

I seem to have an incessant interest in heirloom plants. I haven't purchased seeds or plants as of yet. There are many web sites out there that have them available. One in Harvest Ala. (Ann). Has anyone dealt with these plants. I wonder if there is or should be a market for them. Are they hard to grow, germanate, etc..... Any info would be helpful.

Thanks, Judi
    Judi K.

I Know the Feeling!

Judi,

I seem to be drawn to the heirloom plants, also. They tend to dwindling in nature, though, as more exotic and unusual plants come on the market. The patented plants are beautiful, but are a no-no to propagate. You aren't even supposed to propagate them for your own use.

There are a growing number of people that are starting to search for the heirloom varieties that our ancestors grew, and there is a need to preserve these plants, especially, the native ones that thrive in our regions. Yet, I see fewer and fewer in the landscapes.

I have a special interest in antique roses, but most people want the hybrid teas. Many do not realize that some of the antiques have larger, fuller blooms than the so-called wild ones and many are everblooming. And best of all, if you choose carefully, you will find many that are not only hardy in your area, but do not require much care to make them thrive.

For the most part, heirloom plants are hardy in the region from which they are native, and because of that many are either easily grown from seed or cuttings, the way our ancestors passed them along or the way that nature provided for them.

Some, like heirloom tomatoes, may not thrive if your soil has been contamentated with a virus. Dogwoods, reported, are subject to a virus, so you need to learn about such things and if you recognize a problem, discard and destroy the infected plant and learn as much as you can to prevent to spread of such diseases.

For the most part, there are few problems with heirlooms. They are heirlooms because they thrive in a natural environment. Do a little homework, and I do believe you will be pleased...

If you are planning to purchase plants to propagate for selling, then, do your homework and find out about the demand. Ask around at the common garden centers. Most will be very willing to talk to you. But don't just ask one, ask many.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread