+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 14.2 inches snow in Wichita,KS

Blog Entries

14.2 inches snow in Wichita,KS

Well we came in second in the Wichita weather record book for most snowfall in one weather event. The record is 15 inches in 1962. Actually, I would have thought more than that. Anyway, no one is complaining and in fact we are mostly happy as we have been in extreme drought. Winter wheat will go wild with the moisture. The snow equates to a little over an inch of rain. It is good in snow form as it will absorb into the ground as it melts versus rain which would run off. I am thrilled for my garden as I have been already anticipating winter losses. Now, there is hope. Another snow system is predicted for Monday but it's too early to tell what that will truly bring. We bought a little on sale 99 dollar 13 amp electric snow blower the day before the storm-the guys in the store were kind chuckling assuming the snow would not materialize. Well, it came in handy clearing the driveway. Plants along the driveway-including hyacinths starting to emerge- are now under about 3 feet of snow but that's just more moisture for them ! Before the snow I checked on my Lenten Rose and sure enough-two flowers ! I don't know the name of the one I have but the blooms are very deep purple. I did take photos and need to organize them so I can post.
    Oh, I forgot to mention that we also had thunder snow during the snowfall. I was in bed and saw a flash and figured it was my neighbor's porch light. Then, I heard thunder. I knew what it was. Usually when there is thunder snow there is also heavy snow-yep to that ! It's rain way up high in the atmosphere that turns to snow of the way down. Hopefully more posts and pics to follow.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries
    Rut-Roh! This is what is predicted so far:

DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...SUNDAY THROUGH FRIDAY

A WINTER STORM WILL OVERWHELM THE REGION FROM SUNDAY NIGHT THROUGH
    MONDAY NIGHT. MAJOR SNOW ACCUMULATIONS ARE LIKELY. MOST OF SOUTH-
    CENTRAL AND MUCH OF CENTRAL KANSAS MAY GET BURIED BY 10 TO 15

INCHES WHILE THE REMAINING AREAS SHOULD RECEIVE 5 TO 10 INCHES.
    PLEASE REFER TO THE WINTER STORM WATCH FOR FURTHER DETAILS.

"Buried" ?

But I bet the daylilies and the wheat will love it Dazed_Lily! I lost a few daylilies during the inter we have had. I recently went out and counted the number of plants that are showin g green growth and I came up with a total of 57 plants. That only includes the named ed ones, not the number of fans. Some plants had more than two fans.
    Daylilies are the Lord's smile, a new one everyday

Blog Entries
    DD- And isn't it extra challenging when you don't necessarily know the names of the ones left ! I've gone thru more metal nameplates on metal stakes and vinyl blinds and plastic utensils with the names written on them and nothing lasts. Maps are the best option but sometimes I confuse myself reading the very map that I made ! At this point it's kind of an archeological activity--looking for remains of names near the plant. I also have seedling pots that are black with black faded names-those I have to try to position in the sunlight 'just so' and try to pick up a few letters. I've got lots to do this year(mainly because I've had other years when gardening/daylilies got bumped down the list). My main task is creating a new raised bed and improving the soil in my other beds. I'm trying really hard not to buy anything else. I've got seeds galore in the fridge and plenty of potted plants needing proper planting !
    This last storm brought us 7.5 inches versus the 10-15 inches predicted but either way I am glad that Mother Nature took care of the watering needs at a crucial time for most of the plants !

What's UP??????????

Hey, everyone!

I am here, just struggling more than a bit.

My surgeon calls my medical history "interesting". I call it a nightmare that will not go away.

I have been to so many doctors lately whose eyes rolled when I told them that I was born with this problem. I have lived with it all my life. My records are lost, doctors died or changed practices.

Anyway, I seem to have found decent doctors and surgeons.

It may sound silly, but I have chronic mastoiditis. I have been given levaquin which makes me very ill. The surgeon vacumed my ear. I thought I was going to pass out. It hurt so bad. I was ready to hit the surgeon to make her stop, but I didn't.

My big problem is vertigo. Bigger is a life threatening infection and antibiotics aren't working. Even bigger is the fact that as a 10 year old child, I was given Xray treatments, ie. extensive radiation to the head. Wednesday, I was told that this meant that the surgery that was planned may not happen because the radiation means that I have difficulty healing which is evidenced by my last ear surgery which put me in the hospital on antibiotic IV for 8 days.

Only for the infection to come back...

In the meantime, I am receiving good medical care. It has taken a long time to find the right doctors and surgeon.

I don't know what else to say, except that I am here.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Thanks for the contact/update Ann.
    I lost all my contact info some months back, and had no way to contact you.
    Sorry you are having so much trouble with your health. Hopefully they will come up with a workable treatment soon.
    In the meantime you will be in our prayers.
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

You are in my prayers Ann, My daughter has chronic sinus infections because of her sinus cavity is packed with mucus she can't seem to get rid of.

Hey! Hey! Hey!

My apologies for taking so long to respond. I seem to be in "wait and see" mode.

The culture results took 9 days to get back. The infection is rare and resistant to most antibiotics, a fact that I have been trying to tell these new docs.

It is alcaligenes, what strain I do not know. After surviving 8 days, then 17 days of Levaquin, I was taken off it because it was not working and I was having allergic reactions.

They put me on 14 days of Augmentin, 875 mg twice a day. Don't get me wrong, I do love yogurt and sauerkrraut as well as culturelle, but that has not been enough to replenish the good bacteria that was being killed by the penicillin. Anyway, today is day number 14. I can tell that the infection is not totally gone, so I suspect that I will have to take another round of it. I would prefer to wait until summer break, but that is not my decision to make.

I just wish to avoid risky surgery and long days in the hospital.

Thanks for all of your thoughts and prayers!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I am placing you under God's care that you may find some healing soon Ann. Lord please put your healing hands on Ann and take her suffering away from her and give her good health. I ask this in your name Lord , amen.

+ Reply to Thread