+ Reply to Thread

Thread: An Aloe Is Sending up a FLower Spike

Red face An Aloe Is Sending up a FLower Spike

I have an aloe plant in a pot outside my sliding glass door since it is closer to the kitchen than going out the back door. I use it when I burn my self accidentally putting something in the oven. Well it is really confused since it is still winter and is sending up a flower spike. It hasn't opened a bloom yet but when it does I will post a picture. Since I got my new camera to replace the Samsung that got broken when the kid knocked my camera case to the floor while waiting for my son's ship to come in this past July. It is a Sony and so far I like it.
    Attached Images  
    Daylilies are the Lord's smile, a new one everyday

good one - never seen an aloe scape before
    Abby

The buds didn't open well, they are tubular. They did turn yellow though. It is just about finished blooming now,it is amazing though that it has lasted almost a month.

Blog Entries
    So, Dawn, has that Aloe ever bloomed? I had one decades ago that bloomed for me and it was spectacular! Blooms aren't big, but they are richly colored in red and green. And lots of them too. Mine was an ancient plant, gotten from my MIL and she had grown it for years in a very tiny ceramic dog planted - I do mean small too! The planter was maybe 4" long, at most. I re-potted it immediately into a 3 " pot and just kept moving it on to the next larger size as it grew. When it bloomed, 6 or 7 years later it was in a 12 to 14 inch pot and just huge! Can't recall what happened to that one now and I have had them get bigger, but never have had another one to bloom. They really are quite lovely if you have an eye for details and enjoy odd flowers!
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Yes Rebecca, it bloomed but the flowers were not very showy. They were yellow and tubular like the type hummingbirds like. It is finished blooming now. I was extremely busy when it was blooming and didn't have a chance to get a picture of the bloom open. This was the first time it had bloomed. I had seen aloes with red blooms before in other peoples yards but never a yellow one. The blooms on the spike did not develop a stem and grow away from the spike. It stayed connected to the spike as in the photo. It is in a pot I had daylilies in so I have to move the plants and rescue the daylily out of the pot so it will bloom to.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DaylilyDawn View Post
    Yes Rebecca, it bloomed but the flowers were not very showy. They were yellow and tubular like the type hummingbirds like. It is finished blooming now. I was extremely busy when it was blooming and didn't have a chance to get a picture of the bloom open. This was the first time it had bloomed. I had seen aloes with red blooms before in other peoples yards but never a yellow one. The blooms on the spike did not develop a stem and grow away from the spike. It stayed connected to the spike as in the photo. It is in a pot I had daylilies in so I have to move the plants and rescue the daylily out of the pot so it will bloom to.
    They aren't "showy" but they are interesting. Shape and attitude sounds spot on to me, but I must say having a daylily as a pot mate is definitely different!
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

+ Reply to Thread