+ Reply to Thread

Thread: USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map 2012

Blog Entries

Lightbulb USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map 2012

Just published and knew y'all would want to see it!

Looks good too!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

I used to guess a little because the map in my area was a little ambiguous. Now I am officially in 6a.
    Dave

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MichiganDave View Post
    I used to guess a little because the map in my area was a little ambiguous. Now I am officially in 6a.

Here I am in Central Indiana, south of you, and am colder than you! I'm 5b! Although sometimes I think I'm more a 4!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    Wichita KS went from a zone 6 to a 6a to now a 6b. That means someone's data is suggesting our lows are not as low as before. Judging from the NON Winter of 2012 that may be correct ! [This is the first year I did not herd my lily pots and corral them in the garage. (save for the Easter lilies and a few late season Asiatic Wally World buys). I am glad I left them all out(against the house). As for the Easter lilies, they think it is show time and are popping up in the garage. The worst site is seeing ALL your lilies popping up in the garage in February !] Anyway, interesting info from the zone czars !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries
    We can't really judge the new hardiness zone map by current weather - current weather is re-dunk-culas, many plants, trees included are confused byt this weather, so it isn't such a stretch to see potted plants in a garage to be doing a jump start. Question is why do you still have potted lilies? Oh wait, I still have lilies in pots! (but mine are sitting right where they've been for the last 2-3 years!)

As for the shifting zones do remember there is only a 5 degree difference between them. Wish now I had bookmarked the site I was reading the other day that game a better explanation of the new zones and how they were reached. If I run across it I WILL post it!

EDIT:

From Cornell University: http://www.gardening.cornell.edu/weather/zones.html

From Climate Central: http://www.climatecentral.org/news/f...and-foresters/

This from USA TODAY: http://www.usatoday.com/weather/clim...ning-map_N.htm

This should help clear up a few things and help understand others! Now if someone could just explain the current wonky weather of this winter(?)!
    Last edited by Rebecca; 01-29-2012 at 04:45 PM. Reason: added additional information.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

+ Reply to Thread