+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Earthquake (aftershock)

Threaded View

Blog Entries

Earthquake (aftershock)

Trust me, Wichita Kansas is tornado land , not Earthquake land. This was the first EQ I ever experienced. Some would even say the first EQ they ever felt in Kansas. It was epicentered about 150-200 miles south in Oklahoma. It was a 5.6 but obviously not 5.6 in Wichita. Weird feeling. It lasted about 10 seconds. I was in the recliner and it started shaking. I looked over at hubby sitting on the couch and he was smiling so I figured he was shaking the floor with his foot. I said, "What are you doing?" He just kept smiling at me and said,'it's an earthquake'. My jaw dropped and my eyes got big and I was speechless. [I had heard there was another one at 2 AM the previous morning though i never felt it, so it did make sense that that was what was happening]. There was a rumbling kind of shaking--no sound though. 10 seconds later, that was it. I definitely did not like it and kept saying,' I didn't like that'. I think it's the feeling of not being able to control what's going on. Weird. Just weird.

Posted on Sun, Nov. 06, 2011
    5.6 magnitude quake felt in Wichita area
    Eagle staff and wire reports

Late Saturday evening people around the Wichita area felt the earth shake.

According to the U.S. Geological Survey, the 5.6 magnitude earthquake happened at 10:53 p.m. It was centered 4 miles east of Sparks, Okla., about 45 miles east of Oklahoma City.

The Weather Service said the quake had been felt throughout south-central and southeast Kansas and eastern and central Oklahoma.

At 2:12 a.m. Saturday, there was a 4.7 magnitude earthquake with an epicenter about 50 miles east of Oklahoma City. That quake was also felt by people in Wichita.

—Eagle staff

Read more: http://www.kansas.com/2011/11/06/v-p...#ixzz1cymZk6nH
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries
    Getting bounced about by Mother Nature ain't much fun for sure! We had one (two ) last year here in IN, THAT epicenter was in IL! Been a whole lotta shakin going on around the world the last few years and I find that VERY WORRISOME! Can't DO anything about it, but still, no place on earth is safe/immune from Mother's wrath! Ya think she's tryin to tell us something?

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    Well, I think Mother Nature might be saying, "Stop Fracking". Come to find out that prior to Oklahoma fracking for oil the number of EQ's(tremors) per year was about 50. Since fracking, it is around 1,500. Hmmm.

*Fracking isn't a 'bad' word-though the activity might be bad for the environment-it is the slang term for an oil extraction process where after drilling, water is pushed at high pressure and it seeps into the cracks in the rocks and forces out oil.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazed_Lily View Post
    Well, I think Mother Nature might be saying, "Stop Fracking". Come to find out that prior to Oklahoma fracking for oil the number of EQ's(tremors) per year was about 50. Since fracking, it is around 1,500. Hmmm.

*Fracking isn't a 'bad' word-though the activity might be bad for the environment-it is the slang term for an oil extraction process where after drilling, water is pushed at high pressure and it seeps into the cracks in the rocks and forces out oil.
    What's BAD is the impact the process has on Mother Earth. It's time we went in search of natural gas that can be extracted w/o undue damage to our earth, as well as other alternative means of energy. The day of the oil baron is ending, like it or not.

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca View Post
    The day of the oil baron is ending, like it or not.

Rebecca
    I think that is just wishful thinking

The only way the day of the oil baron will end is when they run out even if they have to destroy the world in proccess.
    Abby

Blog Entries
    I believe I have experienced 3, possibly 4 here in Indiana. the most memorable was in southern IN when the kids were little and we lived a few blocks from the Ohio River. That old shot-gun house really rattled and rolled and the fridge walked out into the middle of the kitchen - or tried to anyway. the others I've experienced didn't last as long and for at least two I happened to be outside and hardly noticed them. Of course none were anywhere near what happens in California or Japan, TTL! Tornados are enough threat to have to live with.

Tryin to stay on top o the ground!

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

+ Reply to Thread