+ Reply to Thread

Thread: May 12 2011 Snow Storm!

Threaded View

May 12 2011 Snow Storm!

I saw a post about the first 100F day for the midwest and had a good laugh, because as I read it, Nature was putting the finishing touches on our 18 inches of snow...

Yes... you read right... 18 inches of heavy, practically dripping-wet snow fell in Colorado pn May 11th and 12th 2011, giving us the entire month of May's average rainfall in the form of snow fit for a Coke Icy!

Observe...6AM on the 12th, and it continued snowing heavily for another 6 hours after this shot.

My garden got squished... I have to repair the deer fencing and hope the tomatoes perk back up. I haven't seen freeze damage except for the peppers...yeah they're dead. LOL But the tomatoes are just fine, just a little weighed down by the heaviness of the snow.

Nothing else has been planted or has seeded yet-- what I do have growing is safe in the basement under lights.

BTW-- I have chickens, too... this is their house....they looked..."put out" by the experience, but they survived just fine!

All 18 inches of the snow has melted today, the 13th-- which normally would cause flooding in areas, but we've been so dry, the ground simply drank it up. More snow is expected tomorrow night, despite highs in the 60's every day! Strangest May ever.
    Denver Ryan
    Parker, Colorado (6500')

Blog Entries
    I enjoyed the post and px ! How strange...this is truly a weird spring. On Monday it was 100, yesterday mid-50's with lows down in the 40's. I'm surprised our overzealous weatherman missed the chanace to mention snow in Colorado but then again Goodland is typically as far west as he reports. Glad it melted to useful moisture. We are very dry here and what little rain we've had is not enough. We need a gully washer or as our weatherman says 'a frog strangler'.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Quote Originally Posted by Dazed_Lily View Post
    I enjoyed the post and px ! How strange...this is truly a weird spring. On Monday it was 100, yesterday mid-50's with lows down in the 40's. I'm surprised our overzealous weatherman missed the chanace to mention snow in Colorado but then again Goodland is typically as far west as he reports. Glad it melted to useful moisture. We are very dry here and what little rain we've had is not enough. We need a gully washer or as our weatherman says 'a frog strangler'.
    It snowed here again yesterday. It really turns people off to Colorado, which ironically, is precisely what Coloradans like! LOL People elsewhere in the country don't understand how things move and change and come and go according to what the mountains say. Most have never heard of a downslope or an upslope and how dramatic either can make the weather be. It wouldn't have snowed here-- especially this much, if it weren't for the upslope. The temps were not that cold! But when you take an air mass and force it into higher elevations, it expands. Basic laws of physics demand it expand and in doing so, it has the same amount of heat it had before, but spread out over much more volume.... this equals cold and it also equals the inability to hold moisture any more... so it falls... usually rain but because of the weird weather patterns, it came as snow. And I'm ok with that. Having it as very wet and heavy snow meant the ground was not overwhelmed with trying to drink it up. It got to nurse the moisture away instead of have it run off the land and into some ditch or stream and away from our great need of it.

BTW-- people may be shocked by this scene... but what they don't know is that when we get downslope... air moving from high elev to low, it compresses and heats us up! Not uncommon to see a 75 degree and sunny day in the dead of winter...happens a lot, actually! Helps to get me through the dreariness of winter.
    Denver Ryan
    Parker, Colorado (6500')

Blog Entries
    Glad I live in Indiana, unpredictable as it is at least we don't (normally) get snow in May! Sure is a pretty sight though. . . .
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Ryan

Thanks for the snow pix.

Whilst I enjoyed looking at them, that is about as close as I want to get to the snow.
    Abby

Blog Entries
    Well, I guess I can't complain about our bad weather this spring--evening temps in the 30s, overcast and raining!! Dreary and annoying more than anything else.

+ Reply to Thread