+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Zygopetalatum

Threaded View

Zygopetalatum

Another nice orchid variety blooming now at the end of autumn

Abby

Beautiful! And I bet they smell really good!
    Denver Ryan
    Parker, Colorado (6500')

Thanks Ryan

Although I've now had this plant for several years I never realized it was fragrant.

In view how strong the fragrance I cannot believe not noticing it before.
    Abby

Blog Entries
    I've long wanted to grow one of these but have never been in a place or situation that I could. Truly one of the more fascinating of the orchid species. You've done a wonderful job of growing and blooming this one!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

I've had it for several years now but only ever one or two scapes unlike the cymbidiums which seem much more bloom prolific.

But the advantage is that it blooms at the other spectrum of the year. There is also tendency for the leaves to get small black spots ???

Basically I grow them in pots outside with some other cymbidiums.
    Abby

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by abbyjen View Post
    I've had it for several years now but only ever one or two scapes unlike the cymbidiums which seem much more bloom prolific.

But the advantage is that it blooms at the other spectrum of the year. There is also tendency for the leaves to get small black spots ???

Basically I grow them in pots outside with some other cymbidiums.
    I would check out the black spots on the AOS web site as it doesn't should good to me, in fact it sounds like a virus. Zygos and Cyms are so totally different in their bloom habits and your Zygo is doing as it should, although it should have more than one or two scape s(?) - how many "leads" does it have? Do you fertilize, how often do you re-pot and what potting medium are you using?

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

What are "leads" ?
    Abby

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by abbyjen View Post
    What are "leads" ?
    A "lead" is the technical term for the newest growth on an orchid that produces pseudobulbs and have a sympodial growth habit (The Zygo, Cymbidiums, Cattleys and plants in that area,. These are generally the only actively growing part of the plant.The Vandacious types, ie:Vanda, Phalaemopsis, Papiopedilum, some Oncidiums and other botanical types grow from a central point or monopodial growth habit.) The genus that produce the psuedobulbs have a growth pattern similar to morris code, dots (the in-active growth) and a dash,( the newest growth.)

According the the AOS Glossary:LEAD
    An immature vegetative growth on a sympodial orchid that will develop into flower-producing structure.

PSEUDOBULB
    A thickened portion of the stem of many orchids functioning as a water and food storage device.

MONOPODIAL
    Orchids which grow upward from a single stem producing leaves and flowers along that stem.

SYMPODIAL
    Orchids which grow laterally and produce leafy growths along a rhizome.

Basic Orchid Glossary

Zygopetalatum mackayi Culture Also on the Orchids by Hausermann site, on the bottom of the page.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

+ Reply to Thread