+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lets play "Name This ORCHID"

Lets play "Name This ORCHID"

Went to a new (to me) nursery a few weeks ago and they had this orchid---didn't know it's Id as it was a gift and not interested in dividing and selling. It was so tall I took it in 2 to get a close-up. Anyone recognition?
    Name:  Goodness Grows 06.JPG
Views: 80
Size:  66.7 KBName:  Goodness Grows 06.JPG
Views: 81
Size:  67.2 KB
    Patsy

It an epidendrum-- most are strong growers and keiki readily. I believe they can be terrestrial though mine seem to have roots consistent with epiphytes (hence their name, too). As for the hybrid name-- pretty much impossible to know that.
    Denver Ryan
    Parker, Colorado (6500')

THANK YOU, Ryan! I love it, but I'm partial to reds, and of course greens, in orchids.
    BTW...I just realized it was actually much 'redder' than that photo I posted in the middle of the night. It's actually about the shade of the
    above Mandonii.
    Patsy

Blog Entries
    Wow! That's a nice Epi! I've only ever grown the E. radicans and loved them, then. . . doing good to grow Phals these days, but then Epis can take more sun and warmer conditions and can do very well added to a mixed perennial bed (for the summer). Like a tight shoe so no need to re-pot very often.

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

This is my Epidendrum ibaguense formerly E. radicans

Lives in full sun in the garden
    Abby

Nice Abby... I like their bird-like appearance. Very nice color, too. Do you grow yours in the ground?
    Denver Ryan
    Parker, Colorado (6500')

Blog Entries
    Beautiful, Abby! Brings back some wonderful memories too!
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

That's is beautiful!!!!!!! I love the color.

Love that one, Abby. I didn't realize until this thread that there were so many that could take full sun. To me yours looks similar to the one I found at Goodness Grows, thinner petals and a little lighter in color. I'm going to be watching for these.
    Patsy

+ Reply to Thread