+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spring 2011

Spring 2011

Hey, everyone! Thanks for keeping the forum going for me!

It has been a hard winter, and it is the first time ever that I have missed a total of 11 days (flu) of school in one quarter. Somehow, I made it, but this weekend, I have been getting much needed sleep.

It is 80 degrees now, so bitter cold goes to extra warm really quickly as usual.

My hope is that we will have a wet spring and summer as normal and not the droughts. The droughts are killing me because I don't have a sprinkler system set up.

School is fine. I like teaching Geometry better because I was getting bored with Algebra. Unfortunately, I have a class of 34 fast paced Algebra students, most of whom do not belong there. This is my hard class.

My robotics class is the best, but it requires the most work to prepare. I think that it would be nice to teach that all day long.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Tornado

We had a tornado. It was the last day of our holidays. I had planned to go to school to work in my classroom, but I heard thunder and it was raining hard. I turned on the TV to hear bonks and warnings like crazy. Needless to say, I decided to stay put.

Good thing that I did! A tornado (F2) hit on the road that I take to school. It was about the time that I was ready to go. Thankfully, there were only a few minor injuries, but there was major destruction.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Glad you are safe, Ann. Great to see you posting again!! :-)

PR

Glad to know you are safe!

I have been away because my computer has been. I am using a new computer now, so I am back!
    Dave

Thank you!

I have this fear about weather like that. My father was hurt badly when a tornado picked up the car he was driving. A larger car that was also picked up, collided and they both ended up in a ditch.

Here's the BP station:

Name:  tornade..jpg
Views: 185
Size:  45.7 KB
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Oh my goodness...Lord, thank You for the warnings.
    Patsy

Sweet Patsy,

Yes, thankfully we have a good warning system near my school. They test it often, and unfortunately, the test was about the time that this struck. I am grateful that it was a holiday, but I have to tell you that I was anxious and worried because some of my students work at the grocery store that was hit.

Attachment 7342
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Then, there is this neighborhood hardware store that I frequently visit.

Name:  tornado2..jpg
Views: 88
Size:  41.1 KB
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann B. View Post
    Thank you!

I have this fear about weather like that. My father was hurt badly when a tornado picked up the car he was driving. A larger car that was also picked up, collided and they both ended up in a ditch.

Here's the BP station:

Attachment 7341

Looks like Mother Nature is still pretty darned up-set with BP. I am sorry for the independent owner/operator though as I know it has to be a devastating (business) loss for him.
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    I too have a healthy fear of high winds and living in Tornado Alley, it gets crazy round here in the Spring, so I know what you went through. We have had them hit close but not in Lebanon for a very long time and that was north of the city. They have hit in small towns around us and done some nasty damage in/around Indianapolis. Thankfully none have been too severe here in the central part of the State. Not Northern and Southern are a different story.

The unseasonable warm weather makes for a dangerous scenario, but all we can do is be prepared since we sure can't change the weather. So glad you stayed home and are OK! Gonna be one of "those" springs I'm afraid.

Blessed Be!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    Wow, I guess I can't complain about the seven inches of snow and the wind chill of 11 degrees today!

+ Reply to Thread