+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need Dahlia pointers please

Blog Entries

Need Dahlia pointers please

OK, I just bought 3 very healthy Dahlia tubers called Lucky Number. What do I do now ? I'm in zone 6--last frosr date April 15. Do I plant or pot--if so where in trems of sun ? (It gets hot here in summer). I am all ears ! Thanks !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

I bought some recently too. From what I have read so far (I have been interested in dahlias so I have been reading), you can either pot each one in a gallon container. It is going to take a while before it sprouts. After you are sure that there is not chance of frost (which in reality can be later than Apr 15), you plant them outdoor. This will give you earlier blooms.

Or you can wait until after last frost and plant them outside, but if you do so, try to check the tubers occasionally to make sure they don't dry out.
    Dave

Blog Entries
    If you are concerned about a late frost (and around here they can hit on Memorial Day Weekend), like Dave says, you can plant them in individual tubs or you can start them in flats with peat moss. Right now, my windows are loaded with tubers that are starting to sprout! If you are concerned that your temps are going down at night, just throw something over them, they can take a little cold. I'm putting mine out in raised beds this year, and I've opted for row covers until the end of May.
    If you decide to wait until the 15th to plant, keep your dahlias in a cool place. Once you set them in the garden, don't water until they start to sprout. If you have really hot dry weather, make sure you keep them well watered. Also don't use a fertilizer that's high in nitrogen, it won't harm the plant, but you will grow more foliage than blooms!

Blog Entries
    BTW, my dahlia addiction has reached an all time high. Ok, I admit I had a lot of time on my hands this winter whle the weather was lousy, and I was recovering from surgery. I bought a few more varieties, and divided my tubers, and traded with other growers, and OMG, I am now the "proud" owner of over a hundred varieties (and a few hundred tubers)! I still love the amaryllis, but the dahlias are more of an "instant gratification" flower.

+ Reply to Thread