+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oh Goody Winter is Back

Blog Entries

Oh Goody Winter is Back

It was 70 on Friday, 60 on Saturday, 35 today(Sunday) and here comes a wintery smorgasboard !

WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 6 AM CST WEDNESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN WICHITA HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR SIGNIFICANT WINTER WEATHER...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 6 AM CST WEDNESDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

* TIMING...AREAS OF LIGHT FREEZING DRIZZLE WILL BEGIN LATE TONIGHT AND PERSIST THROUGH MONDAY MORNING. A LULL IN ACTIVITY IS ANTICIPATED MONDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING....HOWEVER SNOW WILL THEN DEVELOP MONDAY NIGHT AND PERSIST THROUGH TUESDAY NIGHT.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...OF 9 TO 14 INCHES ARE LIKELY ACROSS SOUTHEAST KANSAS FROM MONDAY NIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY NIGHT. ACCUMULATIONS OF 6 TO 8 INCHES ARE NOW FORECAST FOR THOSE PARTS OF CENTRAL AND SOUTH CENTRAL KANSAS ALONG AND EAST OF I-135. [I am South Central-how does the weather know where the Interstate is ?]

* ICE ACCUMULATIONS...AROUND ONE QUARTER INCH ARE POSSIBLE FROM THE FREEZING DRIZZLE LATE TONIGHT AND MONDAY MORNING.

* WINDS...WILL INCREASE FROM THE NORTH BETWEEN 20 AND 30 MPH WITH GUSTS TO AROUND 40 MPH ARE LIKELY TUESDAY AND TUESDAY NIGHT.

* IMPACTS...THE FREEZING DRIZZLE WILL RESULT IN LIGHT ICE ACCUMULATIONS ON EXPOSED SURFACES AND UNTREATED ROADS. HEAVY SNOW AND BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW WILL MAKE DRIVING DANGEROUS FROM MONDAY NIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY NIGHT. THE STRONG NORTH WINDS MAY RESULT IN A BLIZZARD TUESDAY AND TUESDAY NIGHT WITH NEAR ZERO VISIBILITIES. DANGEROUS WIND CHILLS OF 10 BELOW TO 20 BELOW ARE LIKELY BY TUESDAY NIGHT.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Crazy !!!!!
    Patsy

Blog Entries
    Don't you just love it! Never a dull moment this winter! Personally I am sick of this crap and am ready for 80 weather and rains in the evening that don't ruin blooms on whatever is blooming! I am ready to see Crocus and Snow Drops and Tulips and Daffodils! Enough of this white stuff already! LOL! Oh and if there must be ice, let it be only enough to cloak the trees in a wrap of crystalline elegance!
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    How it's shaping up for me:

Local Text Forecast for
    Lebanon, IN (46052)

Jan 31 Tonight
    A wintry mix. Some icing possible. Low 23F. Winds NE at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precip 80%.
    Feb 1 Tomorrow
    Windy with a wintry mix of precipitation. Significant icing possible. High 27F. Winds NE at 25 to 35 mph. Snow accumulations less than one inch.
    Feb 1 Tomorrow night
    Windy with a wintry mix of precipitation. Low 24F. Winds NE at 25 to 35 mph. Snow accumulating 1 to 3 inches.
    Feb 2 Wednesday
    Windy with snow. Highs in the mid 20s and lows in the upper single digits.
    Feb 3 Thursday
    Sunny. Highs in the mid teens and lows in the upper single digits.

1 to 3 inches is a long way from the 15" that idiot Faux SIL told me, wonder who the heck he's been listing to? Maybe just trying to scare me? Ha! Been through real storms and this ain't nothin!

Me and the kitties have plenty of food, even stuff I can eat that doesn't need to be cooked first.

I call these storms Mother's Nature's Revenge - it's what happens when you don't take proper care of Mother Earth and you continue to pollute her soils and waters and do things that mess with the Ozone layer. And YES, this is the winter side of Global Warming.
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    Yep, the forecasts are wacky aren't they ?! Still not sure how much snow we will get--change the TV channel and you'll get a different story. I do know the wind chill is and will be awful. My Elkhound is sitting on the deck like it is summer but even she will be brought inside tonight, Tuesday and Wednesday nights due to wind chill(her preference is to sleep outdoors in her house but after the face swelling incident of two weeks ago-when she pulled the mattress out of her house,wedging it in the entrance and then sleeping in the elements on a freezing cold night- that won't happen again). Tomorrow will be a good day for making oatmeal raisin cookies and sorting seeds(I'm taking a vacation day).

Blog Entries
    Your dog did what! Kind of had that backwards didn't she? Dogs can get themselves into some real messes can't they! Glad she is OK. I worry about my neighbor's dogs being left out in this mess, the girl that lives there isn't the brightest bulb in the pack and thinks she knows it all cause she has been around dogs all her life! Ha! she's barely an adult as is so her life experience can't be much. And she gets defensive if I even ask a question! I seldom get to talk to him and he is the smart one of the two. Bet I will be watching out for the dogs through this. Esp during the day when he is gone to work. My furkids are not even allowed out when it is like this, like it or not! If they should accidentally get out they at least know how to get into the basement and stay warm.

"R"
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

We had several weeks of mid-70 temps, which succeeded in tricking my new fruit trees that spring was here. The apple, peach and cherry trees already have some leaves and some buds on them. And of course, this week we're supposed to drop below freezing a few nights. The trees were just planted in January (bare root), so I'm worried they aren't strong enough yet to have their new growth buds nipped by frost. So last night after work, I dug out the Christmas lights and wrapped each tree with them. I know, I'm probably the only moron who hangs Christmas lights on January 31st, but the trick has successfully worked in the past to save my banana's from being frozen. I bought a bunch of strands of the old style C7 screw in bulbs just for this purpose. Those babies put out some HEAT! Once they're established, they're on their own, but they've literally been in the ground less than three weeks now.

I've never understood pet owners who would leave their animals out in bad weather without protection, like your neighbors, Rebecca. But then again, I used to have a dog who loved to go swimming in lakes filled with floating ice. Great dog, but I don't think he was all there...

Heck, I worry about the stray cats in our neighborhood when the temps even flirt with freezing. I usually leave the storage shed door so they can go inside and try and keep warm.

PR

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixRyan View Post
    . . . .
    I've never understood pet owners who would leave their animals out in bad weather without protection, like your neighbors, Rebecca. But then again, I used to have a dog who loved to go swimming in lakes filled with floating ice. Great dog, but I don't think he was all there...

Heck, I worry about the stray cats in our neighborhood when the temps even flirt with freezing. I usually leave the storage shed door so they can go inside and try and keep warm.

PR
    Bless you for doing that for the stray kitties. Personally I would rather ties the people who left them out/behind to an ant hill and pour honey all over them, but then that's just me. . .
    Draping the fruit trees with the lights might be enough if you can also tent them with plastic sheeting or even bed sheets to really hold the warmth in, just don't let those C7 bulbs touch the material!

No new dog tracks but only because they haven't been out either! Too slippery to go anywhere and more ice to come.

"R"
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    SAME SONG SECOND VERSE(1 week later)--Guess it will make its way towards Indy & Rebecca:

Hazardous Weather Outlook
    HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK
    NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE WICHITA KS
    414 PM CST SUN FEB 6 2011

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR PORTIONS OF CENTRAL KANSAS...
    SOUTH CENTRAL KANSAS AND SOUTHEAST KANSAS.

.DAY ONE...TONIGHT

A FEW FLURRIES ARE POSSIBLE ACROSS THE REGION TONIGHT. NO
    ACCUMULATION IS EXPECTED.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...MONDAY THROUGH SATURDAY

4 TO 6 INCHES OF SNOW IS EXPECTED OVER CENTRAL AND SOUTH
    CENTRAL..
    .WITH 3 TO 5 INCHES IN SOUTHEAST KANSAS. THE SNOW COULD
    START AS LIGHT FREEZING DRIZZLE MONDAY NIGHT OVER CENTRAL AND A
    SMALL PART OF S CENTRAL KANSAS. AFTER MIDNIGHT...ONLY SNOW IS
    EXPECTED...WHICH WILL SPREAD ACROSS THE REMAINDER OF SOUTH CENTRAL
    AND SOUTHEAST KANSAS ON TUESDAY. SNOW WILL LINGER INTO WEDNESDAY
    ACROSS SOUTH CENTRAL AND SOUTHEAST KANSAS...ESPECIALLY NEAR THE
    OKLAHOMA BORDER. CONTINUE TO CHECK LATER OUTLOOKS...AS WINTER
    WEATHER ADVISORIES OR WINTER WEATHER WARNINGS WILL BE ISSUED AS
    DETAILS BECOME MORE CLEAR.

STRONG WINDS WILL RESULT IN BELOW ZERO WIND CHILLS FROM AROUND
    DAYBREAK TUESDAY UNTIL WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON AT MOST LOCATIONS. LOWEST
    WIND CHILLS WILL BE AROUND -10 TO -15. MORE SUB ZERO WIND CHILLS
    ARE EXPECTED WEDNESDAY NIGHT AND THURSDAY MORNING AREA WIDE...AND
    AGAIN THURSDAY NIGHT AND FRIDAY MORNING IN SOUTHEAST KANSAS.

Blog Entries
    Aw Gee, Cathy, aren't you having fun slippin and slidin around in all this snow and ice?

We had a lovely snow fall yesterday, 5+ inches of new stuff then most melted off today leaving the old nasty stuff and ice behind to re-freeze tonight. I have heard this new one will be as bad if not worse that the first one, Just thrilling! Now if there isn't an ice storm with it I won't have a big problem; on the other hand, if there is, I might. One never knows if the electricity will stay on or not here and about the time we feel secure about it staying on, it WILL go out.

I was lucky enough to get out to my session on Friday and then to the grocery, but before I could go anywhere I had to get and inch of ice off the windshield and even before I did that I had to crawl to a snowy spot so I could get up off the ground after slipping and falling after I made it out the back door. NO ONE cleared the back side walk, gee thanks Mr Landlord. I still ache. I just love winter. . . . NOT!!!
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

We have just gone through 100+ heatwave - To bad we cannot exchange a few degrees
    Abby

Blog Entries
    Yes Abby--I would very much like to exchange degrees ! It is currently 6 degrees with a -10 windchill--expecting -20 overnight along with a few more inches of snow ! Now, on the positive side--all that snow is water for the plants, so I expect lovely spring blooms--trees and flowers !

Can I get in on that trade...I'll take 10, Abby!
    Patsy

It will cost you Patsy
    Abby

Blog Entries
    I gotta say it DID warm up some today. Temp is currently at 37 F and the sun is setting. 32 tonight and then a high of 41 forecast for tomorrow! Maybe enough snow and ice will melt off my back sidewalk that I can get to the truck without falling on my ars or getting my feet wet. THAT would be different!
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

+ Reply to Thread