+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Orchid Rush

Blog Entries
    Tequila Sunrise (Sunset) would have been nice as well. But I'll stay with the Dessert Sands name for this one! I'll have a hard enough time remembering it! CRS, ya know!
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Rebecca
    I love the colouring on of peach and orange on your new acquisition of Dessert Sands
    Just look how different it is Ryan's Baldan's Kaleidoscope
    Abby

Its a bit early to photograph this one as it has two more spikes pushing buds but I couldn't help it.

This plant was a gift to me from our very own Phoenix Ryan, who sent the plant when my daughter, Anna, was born just over a year and half ago. Both newbies have grown considerably in size and beauty

Close up

I didn't know I was a purple flower fan (if you can call this purple) until I got this plant. The color is so eye-catching and rich. What I may have failed to photograph are the intricate spotting all over the petals, which add a splash of exoticism to the bloom. It lives up to its name of Ember by harboring the most brilliantly colored center I have ever seen on a phal. Finally, this plant brings the an intense sweet fragrance in the mid-morning hours-- just as the sun warms the solarium. Our dry Colorado air is transformed into the dewy-sweet air of Hawaii. It no-kidding makes my mouth water when I smell it-- so sweet and delicious!

As you can tell I'm really fond of this plant-- for all of the reasons mentioned-- beauty, scent, form and friendship. I hope to do well by it until Anna is old enough to care for it herself.
    Denver Ryan
    Parker, Colorado (6500')

Blog Entries
    What a beauty! I see strong indications that this one has Phal. violacea (Malaysia x var. Borneo) in it's lineage (Phal. Ember). I remember the big excietment when the first magenta/purple came from the breeding lines of violacea and this one is a definite improvement!

Forgot to ask earlier is your Phal Hilo Lip has mottled foliage; that lip shape sure reminds me of Phal. schilleriana. 40 years ago when I was really into Orchids, the species were my favorites and schillerians was THE pink to have!
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca View Post
    What a beauty! I see strong indications that this one has Phal. violacea (Malaysia x var. Borneo) in it's lineage (Phal. Ember). I remember the big excietment when the first magenta/purple came from the breeding lines of violacea and this one is a definite improvement!

Forgot to ask earlier is your Phal Hilo Lip has mottled foliage; that lip shape sure reminds me of Phal. schilleriana. 40 years ago when I was really into Orchids, the species were my favorites and schillerians was THE pink to have!
    If you follow the lineage it goes to Phal Mahalo and Phal George Vasquez. If you follow Mahalo , I think one of its parent's is a violacea. It could be even further than that by the breeder did an excellent job of cultivating and nurturing the strong scent of violacea in the line. The shape is just perfect, too, I think.

Hilo Lip does not have mottled foliage. In fact, it is in a bit of an intensive care right now as it suffered a set-back-- why I do not know. So I will be babying it for a while.

I have a phal Schill right now, actually! Its a enormous plant. And the foliage-- wow-- in of itself it is a beautiful plant. It is spiking right now and I'll post pics of it when more blooms are open. My Schill is a lavender color and smells of tea roses (but only in the morning).
    Denver Ryan
    Parker, Colorado (6500')

Here are some more orchids blooming...

First is a newer addition to my collection...

Spot Eagle:

This one has a sweet vanilla scent to it-- all day, unlike some plants that will be scented only during those hours known for bug activity.

My phal species Schilleriana-- has proven to be a stunning plant-- lavender (not pink!) blooms that are lightly scented like a tea rose. Next year I will let the spikes grow naturally-- it seems almost wrong to grow this one with its spikes staked.

Denver Ryan
    Parker, Colorado (6500')

Blog Entries
    OMG! Ryan, that NEW one is AWESOME! And your schill is scrumptious! And yes, the inflorescent is definitely best left to grow in it's pendulous attitude! And YES it is often more lavender than pink - responds to it's environment and culture. Don't you just love that foliage!?! IT will pass that mottling on in the first generation, but from what I can recall, it tends to disappear in the second. There is a lovely spotted species (yellow w/red - burgundy spots) which I can not recall the name of right now, that is most likely in the lineage of 'Spot Eagle' and I think it has fragrance. Most of the Phals do NOT have fragrance.

I am losing the battle with the mealy bugs on my 4 older Phals and it just makes me sick. Hopefully they will hold on until warm weather and I can get them outside, drenched (bare root) in something and re-potted.

NOTE:

Phalaenopsis gigantea; possibly amboinensis, itself.
    Section: Amboinenses
    Distribution: Bornéo

http://www.bigleaforchids.com/copper...ndex.php?cat=3
    http://www.phals.net/Classification_e.html
    http://www.bigleaforchids.com/store/...ain_page=index (scroll to find specific species: gigantea, amboinensis)
    Last edited by Rebecca; 03-01-2011 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Foot note w/links
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

As promised, here is the Hausermann's plant, Phal Cranberry Queen:

And a few others...

Denver Ryan
    Parker, Colorado (6500')

Blog Entries
    Cranberry Queen is be-u-ti-mus! Liked a lot of the others as well, but you don't need to bag! My collection is looking to sad! One of my 2 new ones is slowly dying on me, I think it got too cold on the way home from the store. Damn - that or I am just not meant to have a nice deep pink-purple. The other one is putting our new buds and has only lost 2 blooms and NOT the oldest ones, weird.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Thumbs up

You sure have a nice collection there Ryan

P. Schilleriana is awsome !!!

And it also has a variegated leaf too for when it is not blooming.
    Abby

Blog Entries
    Ryan, you started something! Plus the Orchid sellers " Just Add Ice" who retails via Wal-Mart at great prices! So I have added a few and, unfortunately I have composted a few older ones as well - the mealy bugs won. (I've only 2 of the older ones left and despite my efforts, neither are looking too great).

I've gotten a total of4 from Wal-Mart and then the other day I went to Lowe's and got one of their new arrivals and a couple of discounted miniatures ($3.00 each). I am keeping all of them away from the others - not even under the lights.

I have gotten a couple of acceptable images, one a WM and the other came from Lowe's:

Name:  new-Phal-A-3..jpg
Views: 477
Size:  98.1 KB

This one is from Lowe's, sold as "Orchids EASY" and tagged as Phal KV Beauty 'M-P0935"

Name:  new-Phal-B-1..jpg
Views: 603
Size:  98.7 KB

This one came from W-M and is one of the "Just Add Ice" offerings.
    The premiss with JAI is that these can be watered 1 x a week by allowing 3 ice cubes to melt over the medium once each week. They might, but I don't keep ice cubes so water the old fashioned way by letting tap water flow over the medium and out the bottom of the pots until all the median has been thoroughly wetted. Then I drain a bit before slipping them back into their fancy cache pots. I also use a time released fertilizer. I love this big spotted one! "Cheetah" would be a good name for it!
    Last edited by Rebecca; 04-24-2011 at 12:44 PM. Reason: To label images and add additional information.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Great finds, Rebecca. I love them both-- and I'm a sucker for fine spots for some reason! Are you treating for the mealy worms? I'm spraying my one plant that has them with a peppermint castille soap. It worked wonders on other bugs so I figured I'd have a go with it on the mealy bugs. I hate those bugs so....very....much.
    Denver Ryan
    Parker, Colorado (6500')

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan820 View Post
    Great finds, Rebecca. I love them both-- and I'm a sucker for fine spots for some reason! Are you treating for the mealy worms? I'm spraying my one plant that has them with a peppermint castille soap. It worked wonders on other bugs so I figured I'd have a go with it on the mealy bugs. I hate those bugs so....very....much.

I have been using an insecticidal soap spray, but still fighting the darned things. I've even added alcohol to the mix and still can't get them all. Need something other than a contact spray.

I love the spotted ones also, and especially the large, French Spotted ones! I feel very fortunate to find this one and at Wally World! All they have left now are Large flowered whites, but I am waiting for Mother's Day before possibly getting any more. The deep pink one I got a few weeks ago that got too cold had suffered severe root loss, so I repotted it and am hoping for the best, It had a few stubby roots that were still firm and I hope the root pruning with coax new root growtrh. Need a big plastic bag to enclose it in to keep the humidity up and even out the temps. Will start watering it with SuperThrive and see if that helps, for sure it won't hurt.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca View Post
    Finally got out to the grocery yesterday and to Wal-Mart (pet food) and low and behold they had (have) some nice Phalaenopsis in bloom and for under $15.00! Be still my heart! They did have a display at both entrances and I had to check them both out and if I had had enough "spendable income" I'd have gotten a couple of them (or more - just too darned pretty!) Anyway, I practiced restraint and chose only one. Check it out!

Wow! this one is just so pretty and feminine - absolutely adorable
    Abby

Blog Entries
    I don't necessarily have that much spendable income but since I got a heads up from Just Add Ice that WM had received a new shipment I splurged and got myself 2 for Mother's Day! One is a cute small flowered white and the other is one of the "novelty" type reds. Have to be on the desk top to send pix, so will post later.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast