+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Orchid Rush

The Orchid Rush

Most of my orchids are either growing a spike or spikes or they're blooming... first two are my Monster and Phal Pauline. THe Monster phal was my first ever, and Phal Pauline has the best shape in a standard phal in my opinion-- and its delicate white and purple colorations make it look like someone made them out of sugar!

And here is a brand new-to-the-bloom-scene phal, Hilo Lip. First time blooming for this one-- hoping its shape and color gets better, as they usually do when they get more mature (the plant, not the flower).

Denver Ryan
    Parker, Colorado (6500')

Beautiful! Pauline does look like a sugar sculpture. Great description!!

PR

Blog Entries
    Ryan,
    They are all beautiful! Out of 6 I have it looks like 4 might still be around come spring and then they will be re-potted and get a good drenching to hopefully, finally get rid of the blasted mealy bugs. Then I will swear off of trying to grow any ore of them. Just can't give them the right conditions in this house.

"R"
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Funny thing...every time I name my phal Pauline I keep spelling Palin! Whaaaaaa?????? Sometimes my brain is so messed up.

Glad you guys like them. The best part is, Phal PAULine...not Palin... was a grocery store save. I got her for something insane ....like a buck! And she still had some flowers and buds. Last year's blooms were nice, too...but I was disappointed as she only had like 8 blooms total. But this year is different... the only thing I can figure that changed is that she had a banner growing season. I guess solarium life does well by her. But again, not sure what is so different-- even in my apartment she had plenty of rays from the grow lights and they kept her warm. I wonder if the cool nights did the trick.... the solarium got into the low 60's and high 50's for quite a while-- in the old apartment it was hard to nail down the temp consistency. I think it was always too warm during the winter months for my phals to really shine.
    Denver Ryan
    Parker, Colorado (6500')

Blog Entries
    Warmth, humidity, proper lighting, constant root moisture and fertilizer! And they are very happy. The plant may have been in it's first flowering when you rescued it from certain death at the grocery! This season, maturity played a big part and they do get better with maturity and all the right care! Congrats on a job well done!
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

They all look so good! Mine is a little depressed. Do you give them any supplemental light, Ryan?
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganDave View Post
    They all look so good! Mine is a little depressed. Do you give them any supplemental light, Ryan?
    Hi Dave...thanks for looking. Sorry to hear your plants are depressed! No, I do not give them supplemental light. I'm super lucky to live in a house that has a solarium and in a State that has a lot of sunny days! So I position my plants in the solarium so they benefit from bright, indirect sunlight and it's done the trick.
    Denver Ryan
    Parker, Colorado (6500')

Absolutely gorgeous
    Abby

Blog Entries
    Finally got out to the grocery yesterday and to Wal-Mart (pet food) and low and behold they had (have) some nice Phalaenopsis in bloom and for under $15.00! Be still my heart! They did have a display at both entrances and I had to check them both out and if I had had enough "spendable income" I'd have gotten a couple of them (or more - just too darned pretty!) Anyway, I practiced restraint and chose only one. Check it out!

Name:  new-phal-3A..jpg
Views: 571
Size:  81.5 KB

Name:  new-phal-4A..jpg
Views: 499
Size:  83.1 KB
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Fantastic find, Rebecca!!!!!!! Just gorgeous!
    Denver Ryan
    Parker, Colorado (6500')

A classic... Baldan's Kaleidoscope-- one of the plants to be blamed for my addiction to orchids.

Denver Ryan
    Parker, Colorado (6500')

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan820 View Post
    Fantastic find, Rebecca!!!!!!! Just gorgeous!
    Wasn't it! There were plenty of pinks and white/red lip and even a couple of spotted deep yellows, but this was the only one with the "dessert coloring" and in good shape (meaning they had not been in the store for very long!) Although it was still somewhat moist I did go ahead and give it a good soaking before putting it in my bedroom window - lots of nice reflected light off all that snow outside the window! Warm enough to keep the plant happy an cool enough to keep the blooms in perfection for a long while!

I have come to the conclusion that nearly all of these box store Orchids are seedlings that do not make the cut for registration and instead of just composting them, someone finally got smart and found a market for them. Really, $15.00 for a blooming orchid (Phalaenopsis) is cheap, dirt cheap and that includes a ceramic cache pot that the specialized, plastic orchid pot sits nicely into. These are marketed as Just Add Ice Orchids, the premise being that you use 3 ice cubes once a week to water them with (or 1/4 c. of water) then after the ice has melted you drain the excess water from the cache pot. Actually it is a decent concept and if followed should produce a deeper interest in orchids.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Very nice, Rebecca, love the peach coloring!

DR, I can easily see why Baldan is able to stoke the fires of your addiction. It's pretty cool!

PR

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan820 View Post
    A classic... Baldan's Kaleidoscope-- one of the plants to be blamed for my addiction to orchids.

I don't think there is any other Family of flowering plants quite as flamboyant as the Orchids! And what nature hasn't created by herself, man has helped out and come up with even more outrageous color combinations, patterns, etc. BK is super!

Btw, I decided to name my newest one "Dessert Sands"!

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca View Post
    I don't think there is any other Family of flowering plants quite as flamboyant as the Orchids! And what nature hasn't created by herself, man has helped out and come up with even more outrageous color combinations, patterns, etc. BK is super!

Btw, I decided to name my newest one "Dessert Sands"!

Rebecca
    Excellent name, Rebecca... I was also going to suggest something like tequila sunrise! LOL Mmm....tequila.... *just had an idea*
    Denver Ryan
    Parker, Colorado (6500')

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast