+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Care for indoor primrose ?

Threaded View

Blog Entries

Care for indoor primrose ?

I bought a discounted primrose and gave it to Mom. It came already fairly wet. Mom placed it on a desk near a sunny window and close to floor generated electric heat.
    The next day it looked drooped, so I moved it near another window with no floor electric heat. It looked drooped and I thought the location was too cold, so it was placed on a table in the middle of the living room. Today Mom moved it back to the bedroom(where it first was) but this time not as close to the heater and under a night lamp.
    It is droopy save for one leaf that persists to stand upright. I wouldn't say it feels like it has no chance but I'm not sure what to do. Mom gave it some water today which I'm not entorely sure it needs.....Any ideas on how to revive this plant ? I did consider repotting it... Thanks !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

I'm interested in seeing the replies ... as all primrose have ever done for me is d-i-e :-p
    Patsy

Blog Entries
    It has been my experience that these Primrose do not like heat and are best grown on a cool window sill, kept barely moist and out of drafts (like from a floor register). Patsy, they should do well in your greenhouse, near the floor yet in good light.

As for garden hardiness, seems to have varying degrees of hardiness with the yellow flowered ones being longer lived. Most of those grow for the potted plant market are only good for a few years in the shade garden. Some will set seed and might be grown longer via self seedling.

Hope this helps y'all maintain a few Primrose plants. Oh and when selecting ones to buy, stay away from the clearance rack, they are usually bloomed out and ready for a rest or the compost pile as they have been forced.
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

I've had similar experience with Primrose as Rebecca describes "only good for a few years in the shade garden" yet I live in a subtropical climate.
    Eventually the summer heat gets them all and I have to buy more plants.
    Abby

Blog Entries
    Would you believe that I planted that primrose into my garden late fall(no summer heat -yet). It was on death's door when I took it from Mom. Today(Feb. 5 2012) I found it sprouting leaves in the garden. Unbelievable !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Thumbs up

Good for you
    Abby

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazed_Lily View Post
    Would you believe that I planted that primrose into my garden late fall(no summer heat -yet). It was on death's door when I took it from Mom. Today(Feb. 5 2012) I found it sprouting leaves in the garden. Unbelievable !
    Yes, I would believe it! There's just enough hardiness genes in primrose plants sold in the Fall (and, yes, in the spring) that they will winter over nicely when given a chance. Their life span is not long but they do and will return for several years. Shade gardens/woodland gardens (at the edge) are great spots for them - finding that micro-climate - and some protection mimics their natural habitat. Cool and moist with fall leaf litter to add winter protection.

Congrats on getting it right! Hope you also see bloom in a few weeks!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

+ Reply to Thread