+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dtps. I-Hsin Sesame

Threaded View

Dtps. I-Hsin Sesame

Got this guy at my garden center at 50% (annual pre-inventory sale!). I couldn't put it down, a sure sign the only way I could go home is if I parted with my money.

Lighting is a little off on this one...the white coloration is more of a creamy-white.
    Denver Ryan
    Parker, Colorado (6500')

N-I-C-E, Ryan!
    Patsy

Blog Entries
    OMG! Now THAT is a FRENCH SPOT! Wonderfully peppered with little red/purple sesame seed spots and a nice round form. Oh how I miss being able to grow the Phals well and what I have, well they don't come close to what I used to be able to grow.

I should get new pix of the 2 I do have in bloom though. . . .
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

I can see why you could not put it down - it is exquisite.
    Abby

hehe Rebecca I KNEW you would like the spots!!!! So why aren't you growing phals as much any more? I have a problem with mine-- I keep getting more. I never spend much on them but collectively, I'm sure I have a pricey inventory! lol The good thing is, I've only killed 3 out of....er....maybe 35 or so. Two were definitely my fault-- experiments gone wrong. But one was just a weak plant and it declined-- and it was small so it went quickly. I of course had it replace immediately. lol

I'm up to 35 spikes now-- so even though not every plant is spiking, I have enough to go around. My largest two phals alone has some 50 plus buds waiting to open. It's going to be an amazing show this year!!! I thank God every day for my solarium!!!

Thanks all for taking a look. This phal is definitely made its way into my favorite list....along with the 35 others I have. LOL Its so gorgeous I can't stop looking at it.
    Denver Ryan
    Parker, Colorado (6500')

Blog Entries
    Mainly not the right growing area for them. They didn't like the basement set up - too cold in winter and now way to warm it up and then there's all the insects this place seems to harbor. I did have quite a number or Phals when we moved up here 30 years ago, even a few of my own Phal seedlings from a cross I had made (and had lab grown). I have managed to hold onto a few for short periods but mealy bugs and spider mites seem to always get the best of them. The only one that seems oblivious to all the bugs and cultural mistakes has been the intergeneric hybrid Ascofinetia 'Peaches'. It's is something like 40+years old now. ( Cross between Neofineta falcata and Ascocentrum miniatum.)
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca View Post
    Mainly not the right growing area for them. They didn't like the basement set up - too cold in winter and now way to warm it up and then there's all the insects this place seems to harbor. I did have quite a number or Phals when we moved up here 30 years ago, even a few of my own Phal seedlings from a cross I had made (and had lab grown). I have managed to hold onto a few for short periods but mealy bugs and spider mites seem to always get the best of them. The only one that seems oblivious to all the bugs and cultural mistakes has been the intergeneric hybrid Ascofinetia 'Peaches'. It's is something like 40+years old now. ( Cross between Neofineta falcata and Ascocentrum miniatum.)
    I love it, Rebecca!!! I love the look of the vandaceous orchids, with their roots hanging below and that beautiful fan shape they take on. It seems a lot of other plants are bred with Neofinetas-- which is great because they're such good plants. I would love to get a 'Peaches' like you have--- I'll have to keep an eye out on the forums. An a 40+ year old orchid, wow!!!!! I bet it puts on some amazing displays over the years.
    Denver Ryan
    Parker, Colorado (6500')

Blog Entries
    Asc. PEACHES is a miniature, but it sure is a tough little guy and the color is really nice. I believe there have been other crosses between the two genus since this one many. many. many years ago. I got mine from Haussermann's Orchid Ranges outside of Chicago. I've even been there and OMG talk about being in Heaven! Back then (late 60's early 70's that's where I bought all the orchids I used to try to grow. Mainly the Phals but a few Phaps and some of the "Dancing Lady" type Oncidiums. Even had a Gongora america (sp?) "Bucket Orchid". Had really great windows in that old house! Also had a friend with a commercial greenhouse/flower shop that raised their own Cattleys and Cymbidiums, so got a few from her occasionally too. Ah the good old days

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca View Post
    Asc. PEACHES is a miniature, but it sure is a tough little guy and the color is really nice. I believe there have been other crosses between the two genus since this one many. many. many years ago. I got mine from Haussermann's Orchid Ranges outside of Chicago. I've even been there and OMG talk about being in Heaven! Back then (late 60's early 70's that's where I bought all the orchids I used to try to grow. Mainly the Phals but a few Phaps and some of the "Dancing Lady" type Oncidiums. Even had a Gongora america (sp?) "Bucket Orchid". Had really great windows in that old house! Also had a friend with a commercial greenhouse/flower shop that raised their own Cattleys and Cymbidiums, so got a few from her occasionally too. Ah the good old days

Rebecca

HA! Well Rebecca I should tell you that many of my plants are from Haussermann's! In fact, I have one seedling I got from them to spike for the first time and it should be pretty awesome. It's called Cranberry Queen-- but has a bronze sort of color with golden-yellow picotee and it supposedly smells amazing. They always send really good plants and from what I hear they still have a huge operations set up.
    Denver Ryan
    Parker, Colorado (6500')

Blog Entries
    Be sure to post an image opf this one when it blooms and you didn't cay what genus it was, but will assume it's a Phalaenopsis or a Cattleya?!

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

+ Reply to Thread