+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Phal. Purple Martin 'KS'

Phal. Purple Martin 'KS'

This is a small plant, but a very strong grower. It is a warm-grower and as such, it sporting two scapes that just keep growing. One scape had no flowers on it at all but the seasonal change has got it growing new buds again. It has highly fragrant and sweet blooms that smell like honeysuckle. At the right temp, it can fill the room with the scent. The blooms fade quickly in sun light-- hence the lighter blooms (the older ones). It is also very sparkled with those little "diamonds" flowers can get. When the sunlight hits it, the flower shimmers.

Overall I'm very pleased with this plant. It isn't growing in hydroton yet but I'm taking my time so as not to set the plant back.

Denver Ryan
    Parker, Colorado (6500')

Nicely done, as usual!

Hey whatever happened with your submission for the orchid calendar?

PR

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixRyan View Post
    Nicely done, as usual!

Hey whatever happened with your submission for the orchid calendar?

PR
    LOL I didn't even place! I had good numbers but based on what other members said their criteria were, I knew I wasn't going to win. Some of them were very picky about the smallest things like not having the spike visible (flowers only). Its a tough crowd with those orchid people!
    Denver Ryan
    Parker, Colorado (6500')

Their loss! We sure enjoy your photos!

PR

Thumbs up

Ryan
    That is too beautiful for words - I've never seen a purple on before
    Abby

Thanks guys, I'm glad you enjoy the photos. Abbey did you mean to say you've never purple martin before, or a purple phal? Since you live in AU I have no idea what phals you guys grow.

Purple Martin is supposed to be the next step closer to a true "blue" phal-- which they say doesn't exist. I personally wouldn't call this blue by any means. I think it was Alana who said it was aquamarine! She's better at colors than I am so I'll take her word for it. These flowers, as I said, fade fast and when they do, I can see how some would say there is a blue streak in them. But a new bloom...no way. Either way I love the plant. The only problem with warm-growers like this is, they don't get that dramatic floral display standard phals give until they reach a good age. Because they retain their old spikes and re-flower them every year, after a few years it can be impressive.

They get better with age! Who doesn't!? ;oD
    Denver Ryan
    Parker, Colorado (6500')

Quote Originally Posted by ryan820 View Post
    Abby did you mean to say you've never purple martin before, or a purple phal? Since you live in AU I have no idea what phals you guys grow.
    They get better with age! Who doesn't!? ;oD
    The answer to the first question is both. I received a couple of Phals for my birthday but unfortunatelly one of the spikes broke on the way Phal.Long Pride Pure White The other which is in bud has a tag of Cygnus Renaissance if that has some meaning to you but hopefully I should be able to post a pix in not too distant a future.

The answer to the second question could get me into trouble so I 'll give it a miss. LOL
    Abby

ROFLMAO, Abby!

Cygnus Renaissance has opened its first bloom, at first glance it seems very delicate white with green hue There is a very fine intricate burgandy pattern in the throat throat which by the way is hollow at the other end. I hope the old Kodak can capture this detail.
    Abby

Cygnus Renaissance

Cygnus Renaissance

First Bloom

Throat Is this weird or what

Phalaenopsis Cygnus 'Renaissance' (P. Tokyo Bridal P. Silky Moon)
    Abby

That's a beauty, Abby. Great photography on the throat.

PR

Abby thats a beautiful bloom-- and the tiger throat is a classic for phals. People have tried and failed to get those stripes to grow out of the throat and onto the entire flower. Some of them can be quite exotic depending on color and contrast. I have a heavily spotted french phal that has a throat that is no kidding black and gold, just like a tiger.

How long do your blooms last for you? My dry environment shortens the bloom life here but I do what I can do give them a more moist environment.
    Denver Ryan
    Parker, Colorado (6500')

Ryan

This is a new one for me only recently acquired. I will be able to tell you whenever it stops being.

I have other orchids but they are outside ones.

Upsidedown Orchid

Whilst mucking around with Photobucket last summer

This is a this slideshow of my Stanhopea Tigrini Orchid

Click on the picture and look

Hope it works!!!
    Abby

Blog Entries
    Ryan and Abby your Orchids are so lovely! I have an NOID Phalaenopsis blooming now, in spite of being in treatment for mealybugs. Also a miniature bloom, but so lovely. The other one fixin to open may be the mini- yellow/green un-named one I got at wally world.

Not the best shot as I didn't take the time to stage a good shot of it, just swiveled round in my office chair and shot!

Name:  mini-Phal-No1-3-w.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  78.8 KB

Don't look to close as you can see the scars from a mealy on it's lovely face. I may have to make a dip (malathion) to use on them if I can't get these pests under control any other way.
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Quote Originally Posted by abbyjen View Post
    Ryan

This is a new one for me only recently acquired. I will be able to tell you whenever it stops being.

I have other orchids but they are outside ones.

Upsidedown Orchid

Whilst mucking around with Photobucket last summer

This is a this slideshow of my Stanhopea Tigrini Orchid

Click on the picture and look

Hope it works!!!

Abby! I'm so sorry I never replied to this post!!! I've not been getting notifications that there is a new post like I normally do. I haven't had a chance to look at the slide show yet but will later this week (I'm off to New York City tomorrow morning!). I'm a total orchidophile for sure. Thanks for sharing.
    Denver Ryan
    Parker, Colorado (6500')

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast