+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Phal. Purple Martin 'KS'

Threaded View

Phal. Purple Martin 'KS'

This is a small plant, but a very strong grower. It is a warm-grower and as such, it sporting two scapes that just keep growing. One scape had no flowers on it at all but the seasonal change has got it growing new buds again. It has highly fragrant and sweet blooms that smell like honeysuckle. At the right temp, it can fill the room with the scent. The blooms fade quickly in sun light-- hence the lighter blooms (the older ones). It is also very sparkled with those little "diamonds" flowers can get. When the sunlight hits it, the flower shimmers.

Overall I'm very pleased with this plant. It isn't growing in hydroton yet but I'm taking my time so as not to set the plant back.

Denver Ryan
    Parker, Colorado (6500')

Nicely done, as usual!

Hey whatever happened with your submission for the orchid calendar?

PR

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixRyan View Post
    Nicely done, as usual!

Hey whatever happened with your submission for the orchid calendar?

PR
    LOL I didn't even place! I had good numbers but based on what other members said their criteria were, I knew I wasn't going to win. Some of them were very picky about the smallest things like not having the spike visible (flowers only). Its a tough crowd with those orchid people!
    Denver Ryan
    Parker, Colorado (6500')

Their loss! We sure enjoy your photos!

PR

Thumbs up

Ryan
    That is too beautiful for words - I've never seen a purple on before
    Abby

Thanks guys, I'm glad you enjoy the photos. Abbey did you mean to say you've never purple martin before, or a purple phal? Since you live in AU I have no idea what phals you guys grow.

Purple Martin is supposed to be the next step closer to a true "blue" phal-- which they say doesn't exist. I personally wouldn't call this blue by any means. I think it was Alana who said it was aquamarine! She's better at colors than I am so I'll take her word for it. These flowers, as I said, fade fast and when they do, I can see how some would say there is a blue streak in them. But a new bloom...no way. Either way I love the plant. The only problem with warm-growers like this is, they don't get that dramatic floral display standard phals give until they reach a good age. Because they retain their old spikes and re-flower them every year, after a few years it can be impressive.

They get better with age! Who doesn't!? ;oD
    Denver Ryan
    Parker, Colorado (6500')

Blog Entries
    Ryan and Abby your Orchids are so lovely! I have an NOID Phalaenopsis blooming now, in spite of being in treatment for mealybugs. Also a miniature bloom, but so lovely. The other one fixin to open may be the mini- yellow/green un-named one I got at wally world.

Not the best shot as I didn't take the time to stage a good shot of it, just swiveled round in my office chair and shot!

Name:  mini-Phal-No1-3-w.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  78.8 KB

Don't look to close as you can see the scars from a mealy on it's lovely face. I may have to make a dip (malathion) to use on them if I can't get these pests under control any other way.
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

She's beautiful, even if she does have little marks. I hate bugs and boy do they love a healthy plant to sink their teeth into, don't they? Thanks for sharing. I will post more as time permits and as the blooms open here. I have 27 spikes growing on my orchids now so I'm hoping for an amazing winter show.
    Denver Ryan
    Parker, Colorado (6500')

Blog Entries
    The little pink/white one has company now as the lime green/chartreuse one has it's first bloom open today. Cute little thing too with it's red/orange freckles! Also smaller bloom than the pink, a true miniature.

Name:  IMG_0899-web..jpg
Views: 127
Size:  77.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0907-web..jpg
Views: 137
Size:  83.0 KB

I really love the little "green" one and when it is in full bloom it really is a nice show! I have found it very difficult to grow orchids really well here during the winter months and bring them upstairs hasn't really helped a lot. So will have to try wrapping the shelving unit they are on in plastic sheeting and mylar and see if that will help. Getting rid of the bugs would also help!
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Especially like little Mr. Green Freckles!
    Patsy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Great-Full View Post
    Especially like little Mr. Green Freckles!
    She is so green! and the lip, though, is bright lemon yellow! Absolutely amazing! It does fade as the bloom matures but it can stay in color for a couple of months so who cares! Wish they would pup (or keikei) like the hippies do, you'd love this one! And it would love GA, too!!
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Rebeccca

Your Phalaenopsis are very pretty

Trust Patsy to go for the green one
    Abby

You're so right, Abby...cause if I were ready to take on yet another variety these eyes really would be blinking green...with envy
    Patsy

+ Reply to Thread