+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Q

Threaded View

Q

Last winter was a really brutal one for us. We are not used to getting lows of 17 degrees, and I lost a lot of garden plants including all of my red passifloras. There was also damage to the brugsmansia, but some managed to come back, even though they only have a few branches rather than many that they had before.

Summer was really hard. We are currently looking at 48 inches of rainfall, when normally we have at least 60" by this time of the year. Summer was HOT and little or no rain which hurt. I spent a large portion of the summer recovering this forum from the server crash, and goodness knows, it was easier being inside than outside during a heated drought. My thanks for your patience during that time.

Surprisingly, we had a early frost. Most made it through the frost just fine, but some bulbs/plants have gone into dormancy early. No damage was done, and I managed to get the porch enclosed for the winter.

Surely, this winter and the spring/summer to follow will be more forgiving! I am quite ready for a wonderful new year!

Quite frankly, I am wishing for a more 'peaceful' year!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann, I'm jealous of your 60" inches of rain! Heck, even 48" would be epic flooding here. Our average rainfall is around 7". So you can understand why Brugs just do not like it here. Doesn't stop me from trying though. Every year around June my surviving brugs go into a summer dormancy, completely defoliated until cooler temps set in around September. They still require daily watering, though.

I guess if there is an advantage to only 7" of rain, its that the amaryllis rarely have any issues with rot, unless I over water them!

Here's wishing you plenty of relaxing time spent in your garden over the next year.

PR

Ann, I had the exact same issues here except that the cover came off my hippies and with the freezing rains ... I don't even want to say more. My brugs were also a little sluggish to recover but they're tough. If you need passiflora starts next summer let me know. I now have several varieties in hanging baskets IN MY GREENHOUSE along w/a family of hoyas, epiphyllums, ferns, yada-yada-yada. It's so nice to be able to type that word...GREENHOUSE GREENHOUSE GREENHOUSE. It's seems it's taken me forever. Now I hope I care for it well. It's been so good to see you posting again. Come to think of it, it's been good to see me posting again. LONG summer but at least I made a little progress.
    Patsy

Yes! It's good to be back.

Hopefully, this year will be a much better year. Last year was mighty tough, but I made it through all. Thank goodness. A lot of lessons learned, the hard way!

PR, the doctors told my parents that the only thing they could do for my ear infections and chronic sinus problems would be to move to Arizona. Perhaps, I should have done that when I grew up and finished college. When I try to write on the whiteboards in the mornings, there is so much dampness on the white boards that it smears, so I have to dry them off with paper towels.

Our city is normally the most rainy city in the US, but this year, I don't think we will be....

Summer rains are a blessing, but we didn't have them!!!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread