+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lovely Osteospermum

Lovely Osteospermum

Ann that's a great photo of one of my favorite early spring and fall daisies. I have found them to be extremely difficult to propagate. The seedheads on my my hybrid "Mira" were not viril and did not sprout. The I've had cuttings down for 3 weeks and still no roots. Do you have any special techniques for rooting or propagating these lovely flowers?

Even though advertised as "hardy", they usually get zapped by the cold here. To ensure having them each spring and fall, I must bring them in or propagate them (if only I could). Local garden centers don't always carry them in the spring because by early May our temperatures are already so warm that they stop blooming until fall. When I can find them they are pretty pricy for a daisy.

Any tips anyone?
    Shari

Ann's Osteospermum Pic

Last edited by Shari of SC; 06-19-2002 at 02:23 PM.

Osteospermum Cuttings and Seeds

Shari,

I have successfully propagated several different varieties of Osteospermum using the methods on the stem cutting section of Landspro. Here's the link:

Landspro Stem Cuttings

You can also grow them from seed. The varieties that I have produce very few seeds, and the seeds are larger than you might think. You can order seeds for several varieties from Thompson & Morgan. Some varieties are relatively inexpensive while others cost more. You can find out more about the ones pictured below by clicking on the pictures or find out about others sold by Thompson & Morgan by clicking on the link below the pictures.

Pastel Osteospermum

Salmon Osteospermum

Hybrida Osteospermum

Starshine

Passion

Glistening White

Click here to find information about
    Osteospermum seed from Thompson & Morgan

Note: Be sure to scroll down the Thompson & Morgan page to see the Osteospermum seeds available. Click on the 'NEXT PAGE' to see more of them.

Also, some Osteospermum are patented, so be sure to check the plant label.

Good Luck, Shari!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Thanks Ann,

I frequently refer to all of the propagation examples you have so generously shared . That’s how I came to find this site---a link from another site while cyber-searching to resolve some gardening curiosity.
    I use similar rooting techniques; with the exception of “soil moist”. I’m not familiar with that product. Perhaps it would help.

Gardening teaches much patience so I’ll wait, maybe those cuttings will root yet.

After reading your section on seed germination several months ago, I changed to your method and it works much better. Thank you! I can’t believe how many seeds I wasted before. I think the problem with these seeds was either poor pollination, the erratic spring weather that we had here, or probably a combination of the two. They did not look normal and I was not surprised when they failed to germinate. However, fall will bring more blooms, so I have a second chance. Next time I will put a large pot of bright yellow lantana nearby to ensure good seeds.

I really enjoy osteospermum because it blooms very early; and the blooms open up a light color and get darker each day finally ending up a very dark shade when they fold up to produce seed. The result is that each plant has a variety of shades of its color pallet---all at the same time. It is a substantial plant, with a tidy bush habit, making the foliage pretty even if it is not blooming. As an added bonus because the leaves have a chrysanthemum fragrance, deer, rabbits, bugs and slugs leave them alone. My kind of plant--tough and it fights back.

Are T&M seeds grown in the US or in Europe?

Happy Gardening,

Shari

Shari,

They have certainly become one of my favorites, too. They don't overwinter outside here, either, but that is not the only reason I tried to propagate them. I wanted more of these gorgeous flowers in my flower beds. Now, if I could just manage to find the time to get them planted. We are way behind on our rainfall, and it seems that I spend all my time moving sprinklers around trying to keep things watered.

You should give your cuttings at least 4 weeks to take root. Some may take longer.

The soil moist helps to retain moisture thereby requiring less frequent watering. Personally, I have lost more plants from not watering enough rather than watering too much.

It is my understanding that T & M produces some of their own seed and purchases the rest from suppliers around the world. I believe I read that on their site somewhere.

Also, the stores don't keep osteospermum on the shelves here for very long either. When they do manage to get them in, they are gone within a few days.

Thanks for the compliments, Shari! For many reasons, I really need a pat on the back tonight...

Enjoy!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Smile Yay! Finally there are roots.

When I arrived home after a week away, I found some pleasant surprises. (Also some unpleasant ones but I'll not go there.)

The Osteospermum cuttings have multitudes of big healthy roots. This makes me very happy since I was positively sure that I would never be able to root cuttings of this plant.

I have no greenhouse and no misting system so some things are "hit or miss". (Often miss ).

Also sporting healthy roots is a group of Orchid colored double Althea.

It looks like those 7 acres will be filling up faster than I thought.

Shari

More Osteospermun Pics & and Another Osteospermum Link

Shari and All,

I thought I would share with you a couple more pictures of my Osteospermum and a link that has not only an excellent photo album of osteospermum varieties, but also additional information on a different kind of African Daisy.

Here are the pictures:

and here is the link (be sure to visit the photo album):

Osteospermum - The African Daisy

Enjoy!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Osteospermum Seeds

Hi, Everyone!

I managed to harvest some Osteospermum seeds, and I sowed them in moist facial tissues similar to the method that I used in the Amaryllis post:

Tunicate Bulbs from Seed - Amaryllis Example - Method I

Here are some pictures that I took of the process....

Sprouted seeds...

Seedlings...

If all goes well, these will be ready for my flower beds as soon as spring arrives! In the meantime, they will be protected for the winter...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Shari,

This is what I could find on the propagation of the osteospermum. If I find more, I'll send it along.

Osteospermum ecklonis - Cape Daisy
    Flower Color Height Season Pests Uses Propagation
    white, pink, red, blue 15"- 30" spring, summer aphids bedding, containers seed, cuttings

Performance - Osteospermum is a relatively new plant seen in Kentucky. It is a reliable annual in Kentucky gardens, but may not flower all summer because it must have cool temperatures for maximum flowering. Grow cape daisies in full sun, especially in the spring to optimize flowering.

Comments - These striking daisies will be available as pot plants or bedding plants during the spring.

Osteospermum Seedlings at 6 Weeks

Here is a picture of one of my 6 week old ostespermum seedlings:

What FUN!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread