+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hale ! Crazy weather!

Blog Entries

Hail! Crazy Weather !

These were retrieved tonight from the backyard during a hale storm/tornado warning...hubby did it ! The one on the left was baseball sized.
    Attached Images  
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Wow! That's insane! I hope everyone is ok!

PR

Blog Entries
    It's Official: Giant Hailstone New Kansas State Record
    http://www.ksn.com/news/local/story/...egxviFelg.cspx

See Photo In Link above !
    WICHITA, Kansas – After carefully weighing and measuring the hailstone found in the McCarter’s front yard Wednesday night, the National Weather Service says at 7.75 inches and 1.1 pounds, it’s the biggest ever on record in Kansas.
    "I'm glad that that one missed our house, because I think that it would have gone all the way into our living room,” said Melissa McCarter, who found the hailstone.

Melissa says the stone was one of the first that fell and sat in their yard until the storm was over and they could put it in the freezer. If it wouldn’t have melted, the National Weather Service says it could have been a U.S. record.
    "For a find like that, it's bad to see the damage, but from a science standpoint, it's very impressive,” said Scott Blair with the National Weather Service.

And the big hail did some big damage. The folks out here have dozens of holes they've had to patch in their roof. One home had about 30 holes and two doors down had about 60. In many cases, the hailstones went right through, meaning the damage wasn’t only on the roof.

"I've got water in the kitchen and the bathrooms and the garage as well,” said homeowner Josh Newman.

One home had evidence the hail came all the way into the attic and another home almost through the ceiling.

The National Weather Service says the stones were falling in excess of 100 miles per hour from 20,000 to 30,000 feet. And when they’re that size, it’s no wonder some neighborhoods look the way they do.

The previous record for the largest hailstone was in 1970. The stone fell in Coffeyville and was about 2 inches smaller than the one found last night. The largest in the country fell over the summer in South Dakota. It measured 8 inches in diameter.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Crazy indeed!
    Dave

+ Reply to Thread