+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Giant Squill

Giant Squill

I thought I would share this with the group...

Last year, I bought an odd bulb called Giant White Squill (Urginea maritima), I'm a sucker for anything unusual, so at the size of a soccer ball, I had to buy it.

Knowing I was going to be moving at some point this year, I potted it up instead of planting it in the garden. In November, it sent up a cluster of leaves which didn't last very long. I didn't have high hopes for the bulb, but left it in its pot (apparently dead) when the rest of my potted plants moved over to the new house. And there it sat all summer long. Baking in the sun. Dead. Dead. Dead.

The last weekend in August, when I was cleaning up for our housewarming party, I gave up on the pot, and moved it out of sight.

Yesterday, I was treated to a wonderful surprise! I looked over at the pot of dead leaves, and a flower stalk (scape?) had shot out of the bulb and was about 3 feet tall!!

Nice to know that I properly neglected this bulb!

For those who want more info on this unique bulb, check out:

http://www.rogersgardens.com/GiantWhiteSquill.asp
    http://www.easytogrowbulbs.com/index...=Custom&ID=100

I'll keep you all updated as the flowers begin to open.

PR

For anyone as nerdy as myself, here's a site with more info about the bulb than one would ever need! http://www.maltawildplants.com/LILI/..._maritima.html

The only thing I've not been able to figure out is if I can self-pollinate it. You can bet I'm going to try!

Blog Entries
    Ryan,

Definitely different and exciting, unfortunately not one for my garden and not really a good candidate for container culture indoors. This will be one left for the Bio-Dome in St Louis and else where as well as CA and AZ gardens! Sure do like it though!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

I pose the question...what will you use to stake it so the stem doesn't break in a wind gust, a broom handle? LOL

Squill.... sounds like a plant from Harry Potter.

Do you know if it has a scent? I imagine a desert plant will want to make itself alluring to bees and bugs.

Bulbs are amazing.
    Denver Ryan
    Parker, Colorado (6500')

From everything I've read, there is no scent. :-( You would be surprised how adapted desert plants are to sending up tall flower stalks (re: yucca and agave). Despite growing quickly they tend to have a very rigid stalk. Seeing as it's in a pot, I should be able to safely move it when the weather threatens.

Apparently it lasts for several weeks as a cut flower. But I want to see if I can pollinate it.

With your hot and dry summers, DR, I bet you could grow it in a pot, as long as you took it indoors for the winter.

PR

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixRyan View Post
    With your hot and dry summers, DR, I bet you could grow it in a pot, as long as you took it indoors for the winter.

PR
    You don't think bringing it inside would mess up the plant's growing cycle? What are the temps this thing can handle, specifically cold? I figure it'll endure pretty hot temps as it goes dormant in the summer anyway. I'm just worried that when it gets cooler and wants to grow its new foliage, my sunroom won't give it the amount of sun it would need.

Absolutely insane how fast this thing grows!

BTW-- what about that other huge Israeli bulb I coerced you to buy? LOL
    Denver Ryan
    Parker, Colorado (6500')

DR, not sure how it would do. I think it would work to your advantage that the foliage wouldn't grow until winter anyway, so it would already be inside and not have to adapt to new growing conditions. Might make quite a nice foliage house plant in the winter if you've got a window with a southern exposure. Who knows? lol

This is the bulb from Israel, eastern Mediterranean, Malta, Cypress, etc.... that whole region.

If you mean the expensive eBay purchase of the Griffinia bulb.... funny thing about that one... literally the day I started talking about dividing it up and sending bulblets off to friends, it was dead within 24 hours. I think it was bound and determined not to be split up. It was sorta like Amputo. The day Blanca sent me a new one, it finally decided to sprout a leaf. I swear, some of these bulbs have a mind of their own!

PR

As of today:

Wow! gorgeous!!!

Looks great PR! So does it start at the bottom and work its way up?
    Denver Ryan
    Parker, Colorado (6500')

yep, starts at the bottom. What's cool is that the flowers close up and look like buds again after they are spent. So it doesn't have the messy appearance later in the bloom cycle that others (like gladiolus) can have. If you can't tell, I'm really impressed with this bulb. ;-)

PR

Wow, that up close and personal picture is amazing PR. What fun a bee would have. Very cool!

+ Reply to Thread