+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dahlias at the Fair

Blog Entries

Dahlias at the Fair

Ok, I admit to being really busy this summer. This week, it's the Wyoming County Fair, and unfortunately it's been so hot and dry, that almost nothing is blooming, or when they do, the blooms are distorted or incomplete. I've managed to eke out some gems for the flower show, and the second round is on Wednesday, so here's hoping.....
    Attached Images          

Blog Entries
    And a few more... I apologize for the photos, the lighting was not very good, so some of the colors are a little weird.
    Attached Images      

Blog Entries
    Rowan !
    SUPERB !
    CONGRATULATIONS !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries
    Thank you! I also posted more pictures in my dahlia album.. Of course now that the weather is cooler, and we've had more rain....NOW they're all starting to bloom.

Blog Entries

Wink

Yes, it is a challenge to pick the right month for flower shows. I know with daylilies there are almost camps of club members some for early July , some for June and what with early, mid and late bloomers -not all have a chance regardless of month chosen for the show.
    Dahlias are so lovely and varied--I can see why you specialize in them ! Lotsa work though with digging and overwintering --all that hard work gets rewardrd though with gorgeous blooms.

Blog Entries
    I love all of the daylilly pictures and posts on the website. Unfortunately, I just don't have the room for them here. My quest to find a small piece of land to expand my garden on has been put on hold for a while (far too much to do this summer!). So for the time being I'll stick with the dahlias, and the amaryllis, and other "odds and ends" in the garden. I keep posting new pictures as some of my more reluctant plants come to bloom. Last year they seemed to do just fine with the cold wet summer---and the flood! (Go figure).

Blog Entries
    Ok, just one more...I've been waiting for this one to have a decent bloom so that I could take a photo for the album. Meet Sellwood Glory.... The rest of the photos (all 44 of them) are in the album.
    Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    Well, we didn't get our promised frost the other night, which is fine by me. I really didn't want to dig up and label the dahlias this coming week! (I know it's inevitable...but I hate to see them go!). I used the overcast weather to take more pictures for the dahlia album; (the colors seem to be so sharp on cloudy days!). Now that the days are cooler and wetter, some of the dahlias that weren't doing so well in the heat have started to bloom. I've taken so many pictures, I had to start another album. The garden and flower shots are in the album [I]Dahlias/I], and the dahlias from the shows are in Dahlias Part Deux. Enjoy!

Some nice Dahlias that you have there Rowan and well deserving of the prizes

Congratulations!!!

Just love Selwood Glory.
    Abby

Blog Entries
    Thank you Abby! I [I]still[I]don't have pics of all "the usual suspects"! Either I don't have my camera with me, or the bloom has been eaten by something, and isn't worthy of a photo.

Blog Entries
    MYSTERY SOLVED!!! I kept looking at my "Sellwood Glories", and got to thinking that the pictures in the catalog, and the pictures of my blooms didn't look very much alike (and these were expensive tubers). Now we all know that due to the magic of Photoshop these things can happen. So I wrote to the company, and sent along the photo of my bloom---turns out they sent me the wrong ones! It was a variety called Deuil de Roi Albert. So they offered to send me replacement tubers in the spring. This is what Sellwood Glory really looks like (catalog pic). I can hardly wait until next spring........
    Attached Images  

Deuil de Roi Albert looks good to me too
    I can hardly wait for the true "Sellwood Glories" too
    Abby

Blog Entries
    Well. Abby, here's looking forward to next year (I'm already thinking about spring!)!

That is a good thought Rowan
    Winter is rather depressing. I just have very old common Dahlias in my garden but will post them when they bloom
    Abby

Blog Entries
    I probably could have posted this under annuals ...just didn't want this to get lost since we have a few Dahlia experts on the board!

http://www.landspro.com/forums/showt...6413#post36413

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast