+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Neocentrum 'Peaches'

Blog Entries

Neocentrum 'Peaches'

. . . . is a bi-generic hybrid between Neofineta falcata and Ascocentrum miniatum and cute as a button!

I have had this plant since the early 1970's and though it may miss a year every now and then, it has been a dependable bloomer for me and one heck of a tough Orchid!

These images aren't the best, it isn't the easiest to photograph - the blooms are only 1/4 " at best! And it IS quite Fragrant in the evenings.

Name:  neocentrum-Peache.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  83.9 KB

Name:  neocentrum-Peache.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  82.1 KB

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Love it! I have a neo as well-- but not a bi-genetic hybrid! Mine is new to my collection and not yet at blooming, size, I think. It is quite small-- but I've read they don't need to be very big to bloom.

I love the color of your hybrid- very nice.
    Denver Ryan
    Parker, Colorado (6500')

Blog Entries

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by ryan820 View Post
    Love it! I have a neo as well-- but not a bi-genetic hybrid! Mine is new to my collection and not yet at blooming, size, I think. It is quite small-- but I've read they don't need to be very big to bloom.

I love the color of your hybrid- very nice.
    Ryan,

I have been growing mine for what, 3 decades now and it has never been more than 10 - 12 " tall and I had to trim it back because all the lower leaves had matured and dried up and fallen off. New roots had long been growing so it was no problem to "pot it down", and it has never been in anything bigger than a 4" squaty clay pot! The plants - there is more than one fan now as they do increase via side fan development - are no more than 6" tall. They do require a high amount of light - full sun buffered by high shade. This one is hanging on the edge of a wire shelf and get filter sun for at least 4 hours. The "filter are the trees around the patio.

You must have Neofineta falcata, the only species in this genus as I recall and bears white, fragrant bloom (form is pretty much the same as 'Peaches') The color on mine come from the Ascocentrun miniatum - another highly recommended miniature!

Ther are many miniature orchids that do well in captivity, even miniature Phalaenopsis and Phal x Doritanopsis hybrids. Check out Phalaenopsis equestris - absolutely gorgeous mini with clouds of blooms when mature.

OK, gotta stop, making me want to get into orchids again and I can't care for all I have now!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

hehe-- no I get the orchid addiction. I have quite a few now. I planted my neo in moss-- a fellow poster on orchidboard.com posted how he pots his neos in Japan, where these guys are supposedly grown a lot. Anyway, it remind me of a moss snowcone. LOL Its essentially a ball of moss in a squat pot that one typically will get all decorated or neat colors. Mine is a light blue-- a Southwest sort of sun-bleached blue.

I actually have some 30 phals right now-- a few more orchids. I love phals though. I currently have a purple one blooming-- NOID-- but I call it Purple People Eater because it seems to grow larger and larger-- it s formidable plant. I also have, oddly enough, a winter-blooming species-- Schilleriana-- blooming. It has the most wonderful tea rose scent.

For reason, though, I just don't find much interest in other orchids-- they either have to be phals or some interesting species.
    Denver Ryan
    Parker, Colorado (6500')

Blog Entries
    Schilleriana was one of several species grew back in the day. I loved it for it's spotted foliage, very unique. Aphrodite is another specie I grew, a wonderful, large white. I can't even remember all the species I grew!

I currently have perhaps a dozen Phals, how many will come in for the winter will depend on the mealy bug situation. I have a set of shelves just for the orchids and the small cacti and succulents or whatever happens to fit on the shelves. Still need to get 2 more fixtures, perhaps 4, depends on how many shelves I actually set plants on and if I can rig something to hang lights over the very top shelf.

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

+ Reply to Thread