+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Where Is Everyone???

Blog Entries

Exclamation Where Is Everyone???

I made quite a few new posts last night an it doesn't look like it sparked any interest at all; has everyone fallen off the face of the earth? Here I finally found a foot hold to crawl back on too . . . Just wondering.

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Don't be Confused

Rebecca,

It has taken me over a week to get over the intense pressure of the end of the school year. I had a virus that kept me home for 5 days. That's more days then I am missed in 5 years at this school.

I wasn't ready to go back to work, but I managed, and it drained me... Meaning, I hadn't truly gotten over it. Today is the first day in several weeks that I felt like I was beginning to live again. I actually went shopping!!!

BTW, do you have Strawberry Candy? I bought three, already potted, and it does look like the real thing, but I am not sure.

Post on the Daylily forum if you have it. I am curious.

Gosh! It is so good to feel like I'm going to live after all...

If I had a choice, I would have asked them to postpone the upgrade. That was more loss of sleep, wore me down and let the virus creep up into my system again. Today is the first day in a long time that I did not wake up with my hair soaking wet from sweat. And Yes, it is good to feel like maybe I will have some life this summer after all..

Hang in there with me, please. We have too much going to lose it!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Hi Rebecca! I did see all your posts, but didn't respond to each of them, as I didn't want to sound like a broken record saying "ooh that's pretty!" hehe

Ann, glad you're starting to feel better!

Phoenix Ryan

Hi Rebecca,I'm here I just don't have any daylillies. All I have is Roses and Hippeastrum. Right now,I am trying to cross the red double Knockout rose with my old heirloom roses,which do well in Florida. I've been more busy with my mom lately,also. Her dementia has gotten worse,in some ways.
    I have truely been enjoying your Daylilies. I wish I had more land,so I could have them too. Keep on posting. I'm looking, even when I don't have time to comment.
    Del

Blog Entries
    I was in California. Ask me about taking a one quart Agapanthus through Security at LAX as carry-on-what it looks like in an x-ray- or better yet all the preparation in anticipation of going through Security. It's here-home- with me now.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries
    Ann,

Sorry to hear you've been under the weather again, seems you just got over a bad infection not that long agao. At least school is out and some pressure will ease.

Ryan, So sound like a broken record or ask questions or both!!!

Del, How sad about your Mom, can empathize as I went through it some with my Dad. I can't grow roses so you are ahead of me on that! We'll have to find some miniature Daylilies for you!

Dazed, What were you doing in CA to begin with and aren't you afraid the x-rays might cause the Aspe to morph?

Good to hear from all y'all!

Thanks for chiming in!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Ann I hope you are feeling some better, I am off work from crossing guard duty as of yesterday. I go back to work in Aug. On the 20 of Aug I have my annual crossing guard meeting and then school will start on the 23.
    Daylilies are the Lord's smile, a new one everyday

Ok, Rebecca, you inspired me. I picked up a few day lilies at the local nursery this weekend. We'll see how well they do with the 110+ summer heat. I've got them in a little courtyard area, where they will get mid-day sun, and then very late afternoon sun, with a shade break in-between.

Phoenix Ryan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixRyan View Post
    Ok, Rebecca, you inspired me. I picked up a few day lilies at the local nursery this weekend. We'll see how well they do with the 110+ summer heat. I've got them in a little courtyard area, where they will get mid-day sun, and then very late afternoon sun, with a shade break in-between.

Phoenix Ryan
    Sounds like the best possible location for them in your area! Water will be the important factor until they are fully established. Try to keep soil evenly moist for fist couple of weeks then you can back off to a good soaking every few days. (Depending on how much you amended your soil there. Shade will help them get established and will help blooms hold color.

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

I mixed a bag of steer manure into the bed while I was tilling it, and then coated with a thick layer of forest mulch to hold in moisture.

Do day lilies go dormant in the winter? The one downside of this bed is that it's on the north side of the house, so I've struggled with what to put there that will tolerate summer sun, and complete winter shade. I figure I'm mostly going to have to go with seasonal plants there. If need be, I can move the day lilies in the fall to a more suitable location. I suppose I should probably move these questions over to the day lily page...

It's a new house, so will be a learning curve to figure out what will do well.

PR

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixRyan View Post
    I mixed a bag of steer manure into the bed while I was tilling it, and then coated with a thick layer of forest mulch to hold in moisture.

Do day lilies go dormant in the winter? The one downside of this bed is that it's on the north side of the house, so I've struggled with what to put there that will tolerate summer sun, and complete winter shade. I figure I'm mostly going to have to go with seasonal plants there. If need be, I can move the day lilies in the fall to a more suitable location. I suppose I should probably move these questions over to the day lily page...

It's a new house, so will be a learning curve to figure out what will do well.

PR
    DL can be deciduous, semi deciduous or evergreen, all depends on the breeding lines and what species were used to begin the line. If you give me the names of your plants I can check for you, let's just hope the names weren't changed to the benefit of some marketing ploy by the big box stores or were mis-labeled by the commercial re-grower if they happen to be tissue cultured plants. DL are odd creatures, while some plant can be mass produced via tissue culture w/o any major issues, DL can be very sensitive if procedures are not followed or the numbers are multiplied too quickly.

LMK and I'll see what I can find out for you about the growth habit.

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

+ Reply to Thread