+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Brassia Rex 'Waimaio Spotless' & P. H-Isin 'Dalmatian'

Brassia Rex 'Waimaio Spotless' & P. H-Isin 'Dalmatian'

Hello everyone-- just wanted to share my latest blooms.

The first one is a Brassia and I just got it-- so the blooms aren't my doing. But this is my first attempt at growing this type of orchid-- its nice to see blooms right away. The its named after the village on Oahu where it was born and raised.

My next one is a Phal, 'Dalmatian'. I love this one and its blooming for the first time for me. I was concerned about this plant as I thought it might have a virus-- but it turns out, the spots are reserved for the blooms. The leaves, when the light shines brightly through them, are very spotty. Also, the spike has various spots as well. But when the blooms open, you see why.

I'm addicted to orchids! Arg!
    Denver Ryan
    Parker, Colorado (6500')

Both are so beautiful and so easy to get hooked.

Blog Entries
    There are worse things to be addicted to, much worse!

Cute Phal, but I thing I like the Brassia better in this case.

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

The Brassia kind of reminds me of a a villain in a Disney movie! But I like it!

PR

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca View Post
    There are worse things to be addicted to, much worse!

Cute Phal, but I thing I like the Brassia better in this case.

Rebecca
    Thanks Rebecca.... yeah the Brassia is new territory for me. And I'm still sponging up as much as I can about how to care for this plant because its so aaaaaawesome!!! I have a soft spot for Phals, though. I think mostly because I hit their sweet spot in terms of growing them in hydroponics-- they love it! Plus, they present their own challenge so they keep things interesting. My next goal is to grow them so that their spikes and flowers are aligned and evenly spaced-- they are works of art when one manages to do that (in my opinion, of course). But with that said, I have definitely turned my eyes towards some seriously weird and exotic plants. I can't get enough of them! My only wish is that I could solve my humidity issue as its so very low here in Colorado.
    Denver Ryan
    Parker, Colorado (6500')

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixRyan View Post
    The Brassia kind of reminds me of a a villain in a Disney movie! But I like it!

PR
    I thought similarly, PR! When it first bloomed, it looked like this but now that the bloom has settled in, its top petals point inward towards the tall, center one and reminds me of the evil guy from Lord of the Ring's Tower. LOL My Brassia has a lidless eye!
    Denver Ryan
    Parker, Colorado (6500')

Now that all of the flowers have opened on the spike, it has developed a scent. It smells like vanilla and cinnamon!!!! Makes my mouth water and the scent fills the entire sunroom.

Denver Ryan
    Parker, Colorado (6500')

Blog Entries
    I had forgotten they were fragrant! I count 9 blooms, is that right? Seems right since they open on alternate sides of the bloom stem; hum. . . .maybe just 8 if one is open dead center. Sure are lovely creatures aren't they, Ryan??!
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca View Post
    I had forgotten they were fragrant! I count 9 blooms, is that right? Seems right since they open on alternate sides of the bloom stem; hum. . . .maybe just 8 if one is open dead center. Sure are lovely creatures aren't they, Ryan??!
    hehe yeah they are for sure. This particular one is special to me because it followed me home from Hawaii when I went a few weeks back. It was too big to put on the plane but they shipped it to me. The nursery was beautiful. it was tucked in the mountains on Oahu and we got there early, so the fog was drifting in and around the grounds. You could understand how these plants live and thrive.

Unfortunately for an orchid addict, I live in Colorado (thats not to say I don't LOVE my State!). But there are cultural ways around not having warm, foggy mountains in which to grow my plants. I use semi-hydroponics to do the trick. A water reservoir at the bottom of the pot, inorganic clay balls known as hydroton that provides stability and a constant humidity to the roots. The plants just love it!

This plant is not yet in semi-hydroponics yet but will be soon. Just as soon as I see new roots developing, which is key, as only the new roots will favor the hydroton (though, even the old ones will do ok if they stay near the top of the pot).

I just can't get over the scent. Its mouth-watering good.
    Denver Ryan
    Parker, Colorado (6500')

I'm speechless. That's one impressive spike!

PR

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixRyan View Post
    I'm speechless. That's one impressive spike!

PR
    Thanks PR! I am a little worried though...that I have now opened myself up to a whole other species of orchids beyond phals. LOL Oh noooo....
    Denver Ryan
    Parker, Colorado (6500')

Quote Originally Posted by ryan820 View Post
    Thanks PR! I am a little worried though...that I have now opened myself up to a whole other species of orchids beyond phals. LOL Oh noooo....
    Yeah, what a tragedy! LOL

Here's an update on my Dalmatian... the blooms have gotten better shape... I believe its because the latest that have opened have opened in cooler weather.

Denver Ryan
    Parker, Colorado (6500')

+ Reply to Thread