+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Azalea propagation- when to do it?

Threaded View

Azalea propagation- when to do it?

Hello Everyone
    I have been out of the loop, and cannot seem to competently seach answers on this new style of forum, but i wanted to review when, what soil, and just how to propapate azalea cuttings. I remember many discussions on this, but I am not finding anything now. I kind of miss the old Landspro, with the "how to" demos on plant propagation.

I have retired, and bought a vacation home on a hillside overlooking a lake. I want to plant a zillion azaleas, rhododendrons, propagate some of the exisiting mountain laurels and the wild Dame's Rockets growing along the roadsides. I have forgotten some pointers, and when to do azalea cuttings.... My seedling sugar maple tree (which is what brought me to this forum in 2005) is now 8' tall, and magnificient. My rose bushes are to die for, my daylilies from gift seeds are up, looking happy and not yet blooming! I must learn what poison oak and sumac look like, because I have been getting into it on a regular basis!!

I will keep trying to navigate the new site.
    Thanks
    Linda
    Linda

I don't know about your area,but right now,in my area,at the beginning of summer, when the new tips have hardened just a littlle,I take tip softwood cuttings. I start air layering as soon as it's warm. I take hardwood cuttings in september.
    Del

Thanks, Del
    I am in Northern Virginia, and altho my azaleas have ended blooming, the dead blossoms have not quite dropped off. . . so it may be a little too early. I don't recall what type of soil is recommended, lots of sand/s moss, or cactus potting soil??

I also will try some air layering, that is a good idea. Will rhododendrons root by cuttings? How about wild Mountain Laurels, cuttings??

Thanks,
    Linda
    Linda

Rhododendrons root about the same as azaleas. They are related. I think the hard wood takes a little longer on rhododendrons. They are both shallow rooted. If you're not using a mist system,you could use up to a half peat,because it is acidic and holds water. I like coarse sand, peat and perlite in thirds,when not using a mist bed. With a mist bed I use only a tenth peat, in perlite,so that it has a little acidity, but will drain well. Some people start Azaleas and Rhodendrons in freezer bags,with a little medium in the bottom. Try doing searches on the net. There's a lot out there. Use Rootone F or its equivalent.
    Del

Thanks, Del
    I did go searching yesterday, after your first post. I was surprised at the small size of the tips people were using, I had been trying to root somehat larger cuttings, with some success....but I hadn't tried rhodas ever. I usually root my rose cuttings in the two pound yogurt containers with a coke bottle top, but I hadn't tried ziplock baggies....interesting...maybe I should give it a try.
    Thanks!1
    Linda
    Linda

This summer I tried cutting much larger branches from my azaleas than previously. I swished them in soapy water and rinsed them off, scraped off the bark on the bottom 2", dipped them in rooting powder, and put them in 1/2 peat, 1/2 sand 6" diameter pots, then put large bottomless UTZ pretzel jars over them, taped the jars on and set them in dappled shade. I did notice that as the weeks went by, they ended up in full sun for about an hour each day. But, they didn't seem to drop a leaf, have rooted, put out new growth, took off the lids last week and I am taking the jars off today, will spray them a couple of times over the next few days, but I am hoping to be able to plant them in permanent spots in late October.???

Previously I have always wintered the tiny cuttings over in the garage in a west window, but these guys are so much bigger, I am hoping that they would do best already if I can harden them outside. Guess I will find out if this is a wise move by spring!
    Linda

+ Reply to Thread