+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mums and Asters

Mums and Asters

Hi,

Today I was shopping for Wilt pruf and never found it.

However I did find two really good buys.
    Both were half dead so they were half price. Hee, Hee.

They are Aster just plain aster (very tiny purple flowers, with yellow eyes, looks more like a Mum if you ask me)
    Then I bought a Mum very Hot pink w/yellow eye.

I took clippings from both, and then I had the idea to make my own breed.

I need help with this.
    1. Would it work forming the two flowers?
    2. How exactly do you get the two stems to stay together?
    I scored both of them and tried using tape, but that didn't work.
    Do you have any ideas or suggestions?

Needing help
    Kathy in Ga.

Grafting vs. Hibridizing

Kathy,

What you are describing is two different techniques. The one you are trying is called grafting, and to my knowledge, you cannot produce another variety that way. Grafting is used primarily to give healthy roots to a more tender specimen that wouldn't grow well on it's own roots. The plants have to be closely related for this to work, and it requires quite a bit of knowledge and expertise.

The other, which I think you are trying to accomplish, is to create a new hybrid by using the pollen (sperm) of one plant flower and introduce it to the egg (if you would) of another plant flower. The results may vary, especially if they have already been pollinated by insects.

To understand this, you must first understand the anatomy of a flower. I will look around and see if I have a flower that I can take apart and demonstrate the different parts of a flower. Once you understand the basics, you can hand pollinate the flower, but you have to protect it from flying or crawling insects to make sure it is not pollinated by nature if you want controlled results.

Very interesting and complicated subject that you have brought up. It will be a challenge for me to demonstrate it, but we will try.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Thumbs up Clueless!

Ann B.

I am so very clueless about the flower anatomy! I would love to know more! Yes, I am trying to create; hybridrizing did you say? Yes, that is what I am trying to do.

It would be so very helpful if you could find some information on this.

I've done countless hours of research on plants, and bushes, but have never been able to find much on flowers, and the reasons "For" grafting, soo much information about grafting, like root stock even.
    What is root stock? What plant does it come from?

My research has mainly been on propagating the ornamentals that I already have, and trying to identify what plants we have growing in the natural habitat here, and soil, worms so forth.

No luck with grafting or the sort though...I have tried!
    I even have a wonderful book that tell you how to graft, and propagate but still...It's not enough for my ever curious, ever growing mind!

Thank You Ann,
    I'll be looking forward to more info!
    Kathy in Ga.

Wink In the Meantime

Kathy,

While you wait for pictures of the anatomy of a flower, take a look at the Tunicate Bulbs from Seed section. I talk about the parts of the flower.

Hopefully, I can go outside tomorrow, and weather permitting find a flower to take pictures of close up that will show you the anatomy of a flower. If it had been a week ago, I would have had many.

In any case, I should be able to get some pictures within the week. I have lots of smaller flowers, but I need something big, like a lily or a passion flower that has a large enough anatomy that you will be able to see it on the pictures.

It's so FUN to learn! But mother nature can be complicated...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Hi Ann,

I caught a beautifully dissected flower.....seed....fruit presentation in the family rosaceae the other day on the university of Illinois website...sorry, don't know the address.....was on a search & found it while looking for something else..........

Sally in NC

+ Reply to Thread