Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Epiphllum

Threaded View

Epiphllum

Anyone growing these?
    NOID pink.
    Attached Images  

Not yet. But I should be! :-) very pretty!

Jan, I'm afraid you've discovered my newest obsession. I have about 20 but most still small. I got my first last summer so none have yet bloomed. Your picture's inspiring. What size is the bloom? It looks large.
    Patsy

Flowers are large. I was collecting some of these for awhile but I had to stop because it's very humid here and the epies don't like humid Florida. Only some are doing ok though.

I'd not thought of that. The friend who got me 'hooked' keeps her in her tiny greenhouse year round and I thought it was VERY humid there. They seem to be thriving. Perhaps I was wrong...or than again maybe our humid is different than yours. Mine are definitely not in a humid place and do very well. I can hardly wait for blooms. Thank you for inspiring me with yours !
    Patsy

I have one -- Nopalxochia phyllanthoides. I think they call it disocactus now, though. It bloomed in my upstairs kitchen window -- a little humid but not terribly so. If you click through to the Flickr set you'll see it paired (a little garishly) with my first 'exotica' scape of the season.

It bloomed fairly profusely for me this year and I photographed it obsessively. This plant is grown from some cuttings I was given in 2006 -- an internet friend from Oregon had a friend who had one.
    Laura Blanchard
    Philadelphia PA
    lb_philly@yahoo.com

Ryan, the epis should do well there I think.
    Patsy, good luck with your cuttings.
    Laura, that looks gorgeous!!! we have heavy rains during summer, if I don't get them inside in time they useally rot.

Laura, that is obviously one happy epi! How many cuttings did you start to have such a full pot? I'm just trying to gauge what I may hope to expect. Also, what size is the pot?

Thank you, Jan. So far ... so good !?!
    Patsy

Patsy, if memory serves it was six or seven. I can go back in my Flickr set when it was just a pot of cuttings and count them, I suppose. Some of the leaves/stems look kind of skanky, but the guys at Mrs. H amilton's greenhouse told me it was probably just water spot.

(EDIT: I went back and counted. I had six.)
    Laura Blanchard
    Philadelphia PA
    lb_philly@yahoo.com

Laura, that variety does get funky spots but the flowers are just gorgeous!!!

Jan

Thanks for the inspiration, Jan and Laura! I'll have to give them a try. I can certainly do "dry" here! lol

Beautiful, flower, Jan. Do they bloom at night? Or is the bloom-at-night just one of the varieties/species?
    Dave

Dear all,

If you looked at all 77 of my Nopalxochia photos, please note that the small plant is mine. The big honking plant in the greenhouse and then at the Flower Show belongs to Mrs. Samuel M. V. Hamilton. I can only drool...
    Laura Blanchard
    Philadelphia PA
    lb_philly@yahoo.com

Thank you for the count, Laura. Most of mine started w/3-4 but I've just received quite a few that will fill their pots.

Ryan, I have 2 white night bloomers which I'm hoping will bloom this year. They're are supposed to be very fragrant. I'd be happy to share cuttings of some if you'd like to get something started ... oops, I meant plant-wise
    Patsy

Abby, your plant is beautiful!
    I wish mine would get big.

Jan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast