+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Daylily Show

Rebecca,
    There is the first bloom picture at the top of this thread. I can't any more pictures of it as I had to cut the scape off the plant to enter it into the show. I believe it is a rebloomer but it will produce more scapes in a few weeks.
    Daylilies are the Lord's smile, a new one everyday

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DaylilyDawn View Post
    Rebecca,
    There is the first bloom picture at the top of this thread. I can't any more pictures of it as I had to cut the scape off the plant to enter it into the show. I believe it is a rebloomer but it will produce more scapes in a few weeks.

DUH! RCM looks like it has either EL DESPERADO or FOOLED ME in it's lineage. Glad it opened a second bloom for you and you were able to take it! AND WIN!!!
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Rebecca,
    I don"t know if El Desperado or Fooled Me is in its lineage but it may well be. RCM is a Salter daylily and I don't know if they use either ED or FM in their hybridizing program

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DaylilyDawn View Post
    Rebecca,
    I don"t know if El Desperado or Fooled Me is in its lineage but it may well be. RCM is a Salter daylily and I don't know if they use either ED or FM in their hybridizing program
    And, of course, no parentage was listed. I have grown to really hate that (practice).
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

For more photos of the show please visit my club's website at this address: http://www.bads.us/ Click on News You Can Use when it opens click Photos from 17th Annual Show and the photos will pop up. A fellow club memmber took them and maintains the website.

Thanks for the link Dawn
    Everybody looks as if they had a good time.
    Love Gayle's Daylily carrier
    Abby

Blog Entries
    That photo will the daylilies in 'vilas'(?) in clear pastic was interesting. I've not seen that before and think it's a neat way to display in a show.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Flowers in Vials in Plastic

Dazed,
    The vials are from a florist shop , like the vials used for flower corsages. The clear plastic is Plexi glass arranged in an A frame way. We call it the Off Scape Display board.

This year our show was today and boy am I tired. Only took two flowers , entered them into the Off Scape Flower Division. Ming Porcelain and Rhine Maiden. Won a blue ribbon on each.Will upload my pictures in a few minutes and post in this thread.

Here are the two blue ribbon winners
    Attached Images    

Blog Entries
    Dawn- Thank you for posting. Glad you had a good time and scored some ribbons at the Daylily Show. Ming Porcelain-that one's a classic isn't it ? Who was the hybridizer on that one ? Rhine Maiden...hmmm...a Steve Moldavan(sp?) perhaps ? I am rusty on names and hybridizers.
    I am trying to recussitate my daylily beds and will be creating a new one. They went for essentially a year without care(because it got as hot as H-E- double hockey sticks here last year) and now I am literally wading thru hummingbird vine and ivy to extricate them. To their credit, they have held up well and have grown much. To the point where the 12'' metal name tags are a joke as they have been swallowed up by the dl's. Plus the name plates have a tendency to separate from the frame. I usually hand brush around the base and find a vinyl blind tag or a plastic spoon/knife with a name on it. Got tree trimmers in today and tomorrow and that should shed some light on the existing beds as well.
    Thanks Dawn. I will try to visit here more often this season !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Dazed,
    Rhine Maiden is a Mort Morss cultivar it came out in 1991, Ming Porcelain is a David Kirchoff cultivar, it is an older one now since it was first released in 1981.The best thing about the older ones is the price usually. The older the daylily, the lower the price. One of the club members who had donated plants to the sale , when the show was nearly over, went to the what was left and said you need this one, this one and this one is a really good one for you and oh yes you definitely need this one. I ended up with a double fan of each one. Comstock Dude, Roses In Snow, Plum Eyed Delight, Hem of His Garment and Geneva Hearthrob. Can't wait to see them bloom.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2