+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Possible Jury Duty

Unhappy Possible Jury Duty

I have to go to Bartow Monday for possible jury duty. I don't know if I will be picked to serve on a jury but I have to be there for the selection of jury members for several cases. Then I have a VA appointment on Friday of the same week and I can't reschedule it because if I do I have to wait three months before I can get another opening for that doctor.
    Daylilies are the Lord's smile, a new one everyday

Blog Entries
    Tell them about this appointment, not that it will get you out of jury duty, but it could help eliminate you since you would not be able to focus on the trial. Hey, sounds good to me!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

I was picked once, and I served the duty. I was surprised that they selected me, but they did.

It was very sad. The guy was as guilty as he could be, and indeed was found guilty. I felt that the whole process was a waste of time, but sometimes people have rights and those require due justice.

After it was all over, and the person judged gulty, the defending attorney indicated that we did a good job justifying the guilty sentence.

I never want to do that again unless it is really justified.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Criminal Trials are always justified, whether to find a person guilty as charged ot not guilty and clear that innocent person of all charges. It is too bad that a innocent life is sullied in the process. But if police and prosecutors would do their jobs fully and correctly and take advantage of all the tools available for collecting as well as defining the evidence a lot fewer innocent people would find them selves in the situation.

I watch way to many CSI type programs!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

I was called last year but was not picked. That was my first time, and I thought they were just going to interview me and decide whether they would pick me or not. Instead, I had to wait there until someone else were serving. Around noon time all the cases were done, they just sent us, the remainder, home.

Had I knew the process before I would have brought a book with me. I didn't, so I had to sit there in the room from early morning till noon doing nothing.
    Dave

Dave ,
    I have several books and a MP3 player to take with me . When I get bored with reading, I will be listening to the MP3 player, the music I loaded on it or the radio it has .

There are some great little puzzles called Zudoku. I keep plenty available for students who finish their work early.

If you do a google search for Sudoku, you will find some free ones. A google search for Zudoku tips will explain how to solve them.

Good luck, and I hope you don't have to do this for very long.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Well I was not picked to serve on a jury today but I have to go back tomorrow and do it all over again. after the juries had been picked all of the ones that had not been picked were told to return to the Jury Selection Room where we were re-assigned to another judge's panel. He had not seated a jury when the afternoon came so he sent word that we were to go home and come back tomorrow at 1 PM.

I think everybody should have the opportunity to do Jury Duty at least once in their life time so they can appreciate the finer detail of Law.
    Abby

Well I called at 11:00 am like I was instructed to, the recording tells me to call back at 4Pm today to find out if I am needed.

I called back again today as instructed to do, and it told me to call them again tomorrow at 11:00AM. I wasted a day of work today thinking I would need to go back. Well I am going to work in the morning and will call but if I don't have to serve I will work my afternoon duty. If I have to report in , I will call my boss and he will cover my afternoon duty.

Huh, how many days do you have to do this? Your state seems to be different for Michigan, or maybe each court is different. When I was called, it was one day or "one trial, whichever was shorter." So if we didn't get pick for that day, that was it.

Abby, I agree too. I wished I was picked but I wasn't. They asked more people than they needed, so if the one randomly chosen for the trials could serve, they served, and the rest weren't even interviewed. We just sat there for half a day and then told to leave.
    Dave

I have to do it again today. I called again at 11:00 am, it says to call back at 4:00 PM today but I am not wasting today. I went to work this morning, and I will go to work this afternoon.

I called again today at 4:00 PM s instructed to and the recording said I have been released and we are no longer needed. I am glad that it is over with.

That is good. It still means you have served your duty.
    Dave

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast