+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Garden Show next week !

Blog Entries

Garden Show next week !

A sure sign of spring !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Cathy and All!

I don't see any frost in the forecast for the next two weeks. Mar. 15 is the average last day of frost here, so I have my fingers crossed. After a very mild November and December, January hit with brutal force of 17 degrees, and it will take awhile before I know how much that was lost.

Lately, it seems that there has been frost on my car every morning, and honestly, I do not know how those of you that live up north deal with that for so many months.

Anyway, the Lorepetulam is in bloom, daffodils and paperwhites are blooming, and I see tuliip trees and redbuds in bloom as I drive to and from school. AND one of the 5 gallon pots filled with Walmart hippeastrum has two buds popping up. The label is gone, but since they are going to bloom, I can ID them and replace that.

I have really missed my winter Amaryllis blooms, but next year my life should be more settled, and I plan to get back to gardening.

The Botanical Gardens spring sale is March 25, and I plan to join the Botanical Gardens and become active in that. I hope! I hope! I hope!

Spring is truly arriving and I am READY!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Just to let you know, our last frost date is usually around Memorial Day!! It seems to zing us every year.

WoW!

Kim,

I have been in this climate for so very long, I don't think that I could adapt to having as hard a winter or it lasting so long. Sometimes, I think I am spoiled, but then I realize that this is simply what I am used to...

It appears that we have had our last frost. Temps have risen quickly to average temps. Upper 60's and mid 70's for highs, and in a few weeks, we will be seeing 80's.

The heaters are being put away and the plastic is definitely coming off this weekend. I think I inherited my Mom's clostraphobia or however it is spelled. She freaked out when she had an MRI once because she didn't know that she was clostraphobic.

Anyway, keep us posted on your weather news! And take lots of pictures when you start seeing spring. There are so many plants that thrive up north that do not do nearly as well here.

Hurray for SPRING!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I had second thoughts about the plastic, and it is a good thing that I did. There will be frost in my little valley Monday morning. I am so anxious to take some of these hippie seedlings outside so that my porch, patio and garage will not be so crowded. I won't need the heaters, though. It won't get that cold as long as everything is shut up tightly.

I guess I have to wait another week to see what the forecast says. I am so very ready for NO MORE FROSTS and no more heating up my station wagon at 6 am to defrost all those windows!!!

Soon! Soon! I hope!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread