+ Reply to Thread

Thread: African Violets

Threaded View

Blog Entries

African Violets

Dave -you must really really be looking for spring---is it 2 weeks or 2 months :-) What's on your planting/seed starting list for 2010 ?

Abby/Rebecca/Dawm: I looove those photos. About all I've got is a new African Violet--nothing too exciting there. I'll try to get a photo.
    Attached Images  
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries
    Cathy,

Interesting idea about dunking the cacti, unfortunately I believe they would just come back. This outbreak is really bad! I'll have to mix up some Murphy's on a pump sprayer and really soak everyone down. And as if aphids weren't enough its also time for the White Flies to attack the Lantana AND I found Mealy Bugs on the Phalaenopsis Orchids - I hate that.

Your African Violet is sweet! Can't say as I have seen that color break combination in them before, but then I don't get out much either! I have a grand total of 4 of them and two are "twins" ( same variety) and are miniatures. All have variegated foliage and all of the live in the 55 gallon fish tank/terrarium with a spotted philodendron and an "Earth Star" Bromeliad.

Thought I had a recent shot of the terrarium but all I found was a shot of the #2 variegated standard AV; it's foliage is a lot prettier than the blooms!

Attached Images  
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    I don't get out much either!--That's the first of variegated foliage on an AV that I've seen. Mine is supposed to be an Optimara which is just a marketing name for a series of 'artist's pallete(eek spell check please) flowers. I looked at photos of all of them and couldn't identify this guy. It came from Aldi's so I'll call it an 'Aldi'. Interesting to read along the way about 'chimeras'---blooms that have pinwheel aspects to them. Thanks for the nice photo of a lovely colored and variegated AV !

Cathy, yes I am so looking forward to spring. Haven't decided what to plant. I have seeds that I have bought for over 2 years. I don't really have that much space unless I open up more lawn area but that is a lot of work. And I did some seed exchange over GardenWeb now I got even more seeds. This thing can be addictive.

But I need to start sorting them out and make decision soon.

Your AV looks good. I got two of them from two friends, and I just didn't pay much attention to them, but after they bloomed a couple of times and after I propagated them a couple of times, I suddenly become interested in AVs.

I have looked around and am planning to buy a few leaves, a packet of seeds, and probably a couple of chimeras. I am interested in propagating chimeras too. It doesn't sound too difficult. If I am successful, I will let you know. You can have some of my chimeras and other AVs too (but this is just a plan at this point).

One that I have is a very standard purple one. I don't think I have any picture of it. The other one is this (I think they call this pattern thumb print).

If you like this, I can send you a couple of leaves. Same offer to any regular member of this forum.
    Dave

Blog Entries
    Wow ! I think we are going to have to start an African Violet thread going over on subtropicals because I am interested in AV's(Since they seem to grow for me) AND because you have knowledge that I'd like to hear more of !
    Ann- Can we move these AV threads ?
    I'm going to re-read your post b/c there is alot in it and I want to give it the attention it deserves.........
    I did mange to ID my new AV. I'm pretty sure it's 'Anika':
    http://www.optimara.info/bi-color%20red.htm

Bi-Colored African Violets

Wow! Those are pretty!

I've always favored the bi-colored and and the variegated. I don't grow them anymore, but when I did, I used Optimara fertilzer.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread