+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cold

Cold

Yes, I do live in central Fl. It's still cold. It's been below freezing,and it looks like there won't be any relief any time soon.
    Del

It was an unreal 18 degrees here this morning, and it appears that there will be at least two more days of this rare cold temps.

The boys helped me move most of the potted plants inside, but yesterday, I discovered a group that were missed. Well, they went through 23 degree temps the night before, and we will see if they survive. They were in 5 gallon pots, and the soiless mix appeared to be frozen at the top layer, but who knows...

I dug up some of the Johnsonii, just in case. I definitely do not wish to lose those. With the first week of school and this sudden freeze blast, I have done the best that I can.

We will see...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

That is strange. Your temperature is about the same as here (Michigan).

But we are just TEN weeks from spring!!!
    Dave

Dave,

January and February are always the coldest months here, but it is not that often that there are hard freezes. Usually, the hard freezes are lows of 26-27, not 18.

It got down to 18 again this morning and it is forecasted to do the same tomorrow morning. Having this many days in a row with hard freezes is breaking a 50 year record.

I don't like it, at ALL!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    We had 17 year record breaking lows this past week. Couple of days with highs at single digits and lows below zero. Of course with wind chill anything in single digits becomes minus degrees.
    What I am hoping for is that those daylily flower lovin' thrips and aphids are nipped by the cold. And the pest causing the pine trees in Kansas to die gets nipped as well. Need those lows to rebalance things some times !

[Re Florida, I read about those iguanas going into hibernation and falling out of trees! I am definitely pulling for the fruit growers--one man on the news said if he loses his strawberry crop, he'll lose the farm.]
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Florida is hurting, big TIME! I hate that because they are simply not used to these damaging freezes and not equiped. I know that a lot of money is being spent to try to protect their crops.

There used to be some local, small farmers who grew strawberries and they would use sprinklers to protect them. I haven't heard much about that this year, but I doubt that with 13-14 days of below freezing temps would allow strawberries to survive.

This has been a really 'different' year with a mild December followed by such a long period of hard freezes.

Just a few more days to go, and temps should go back to normal. I am ready for THAT!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

For the past several days the temp has not gone above freezing, and my pond is completly covered with ice. I had tried several pictures but the clear ice did not show up as well until we had a dusting of snow or sleet one night.

The ducks cannot negotiate the frozen pond so we have to go to where they are to feed them.

I'm going to attempt to show a couple of pictures below:
    Attached Images        
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Crisis

Oh, Tom!

Those are gorgeous pictures! How often does your pond freeze? Is this rare? I would love to have a pond like that. And YOU know exactly what I would be doing... Fishing! But, it appears not to be right now, huh?

About the crisis... The worse thing that could happen DID happen this morning. I was less that 3 miles from my home when the traffic lights went out. I hoped that my home was not affected by the power outage, but it was. The power was out until after 10am when the temps were just getting above freezing for a change.

It was 17 degrees when I left the house. When I came home and saw the analog clock, I computed the outage times and realized that power was out during the time when the temps were in the teens. Thankfully, they rose higher today and the temps were above freezing by 11am.

It took me a bit to get the nerve to check the greenhouse, and I am happy to report that there is only minor freezer burn.

I am defnitely ready for this freeze spell to go away, and guess who is going to purchase a new propane heater for next year? You BET! ME!

That was too close to call... If the power went out in the middle of the last few nights, I would have lost more.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I thought I'd piggyback one of my newbie questions on an existing thread for a change.

Where hippeastrums are concerned, how cold is cold? I left all of mine in an unheated rowhouse in Phila until early January -- because the houses on both sides are heated, it doesn't freeze in there, but I suspect it was in the low 40s most of the December. Not only did my guys not die, but they obstinately refused to lose their foliage! Even the ones in the dark!

Can someone tell me something about cold, dark, and dormancy? As you know, I have maybe-Fairy Tale, Apple Blossom and some crosses. But now I have my two new guys, Exotica and Gervase, and it went down to 40 last night (with sharp wind gusts) so I brought everybody in. I set them out today in mid-morning, but it's forecast to go down to 40 and blustery again tonight and I'm wondering how long I should be doing this dance.
    Laura Blanchard
    Philadelphia PA
    lb_philly@yahoo.com

Tom, that is a beautiful pond indeed!

Anne, glad to know you didn't lose much except a few freeze burn.

Laura, I have the same question too. Last year after the weather turned cold, I took my hippeastrum into my unheated garage. I knew that it would to about 45F even in the deep winter, so I put them near the door, thinking that it might get colder. The reason is because I did want them to die back and go dormant. I stopped all watering. But all through the winter none of them died back. And came spring, without even waterning them, they sent out leaves and scapes!

They are tougher than I thought. Maybe this year I will let the first frost kill them because I think frost should be able to kill just the foliages. Then I will store them until when I want them to come back (I want to wait a little longer before bringing them back up and then put them outside. Inside, they really get long and sickley leaves).

Does anyone see this as a bad thing to do?
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganDave View Post
    Tom, that is a beautiful pond indeed!

Anne, glad to know you didn't lose much except a few freeze burn.

Laura, I have the same question too. Last year after the weather turned cold, I took my hippeastrum into my unheated garage. I knew that it would to about 45F even in the deep winter, so I put them near the door, thinking that it might get colder. The reason is because I did want them to die back and go dormant. I stopped all watering. But all through the winter none of them died back. And came spring, without even waterning them, they sent out leaves and scapes!

They are tougher than I thought. Maybe this year I will let the first frost kill them because I think frost should be able to kill just the foliages. Then I will store them until when I want them to come back (I want to wait a little longer before bringing them back up and then put them outside. Inside, they really get long and sickley leaves).

Does anyone see this as a bad thing to do?
    I have no idea whether this is a bad thing to do. I'll tell you that in early January I cut off all the leaves remaining on all my hippeastrums (which was most of the leaves on almost all of them) and then gave them a 30 minute bath, soil and all, in 110-114F water because I saw some red splotches on some and had no idea whether it was benign or malignant. There are no splotches on them now!

I think I've brought mine in for the last time, though, unless it's likely to freeze. Let them toughen up.
    Laura Blanchard
    Philadelphia PA
    lb_philly@yahoo.com

From what I understand that was a GREAT thing to do, and certainly sounds as if you achieved success. What did you use for a bath to keep the temp consistant?
    Patsy

Kitchen sink, instant oven thermometer, a lot of hovering. Drain out the cooler water, add the hotter water every few minutes.

But now I have a new and ugly blight on four leaves in a row, as though the blight fairy had run her wand across them. It came on a couple weeks ago, when I stupidly left them out in 40-degree temps. First it was a white spot

Then it got redder (or browner):

...and today that same blotch looks like this:

Is it the dreaded, do you think? It's on one of my apple blossoms and my Gervase. Both plants look pretty healthy otherwise.
    Laura Blanchard
    Philadelphia PA
    lb_philly@yahoo.com

Laura,

I think your bulb is fine. It has been bruised or somehow damaged, and I wouldn't worry too much. You can cut the leaf off, but I wouldn't recommend it until you observe more.

I see this sort of thing a lot with my bulbs outside, so don't panic. It happens.

Post pics in a week or two, and we will know more.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Quote Originally Posted by Ann B. View Post
    Laura,

I think your bulb is fine. It has been bruised or somehow damaged, and I wouldn't worry too much. You can cut the leaf off, but I wouldn't recommend it until you observe more.

I see this sort of thing a lot with my bulbs outside, so don't panic. It happens.

Post pics in a week or two, and we will know more.
    About a week later, it looks like this:

I took this a couple of days ago but it doesn't look much different this morning. All the damage to all four leaves is about the same spot (same side, same distance from bulbs). Since there are no new spots on any other leaves, I am relaxing a bit.
    Laura Blanchard
    Philadelphia PA
    lb_philly@yahoo.com

+ Reply to Thread