+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cold

Threaded View

Cold

Yes, I do live in central Fl. It's still cold. It's been below freezing,and it looks like there won't be any relief any time soon.
    Del

It was an unreal 18 degrees here this morning, and it appears that there will be at least two more days of this rare cold temps.

The boys helped me move most of the potted plants inside, but yesterday, I discovered a group that were missed. Well, they went through 23 degree temps the night before, and we will see if they survive. They were in 5 gallon pots, and the soiless mix appeared to be frozen at the top layer, but who knows...

I dug up some of the Johnsonii, just in case. I definitely do not wish to lose those. With the first week of school and this sudden freeze blast, I have done the best that I can.

We will see...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

That is strange. Your temperature is about the same as here (Michigan).

But we are just TEN weeks from spring!!!
    Dave

Dave,

January and February are always the coldest months here, but it is not that often that there are hard freezes. Usually, the hard freezes are lows of 26-27, not 18.

It got down to 18 again this morning and it is forecasted to do the same tomorrow morning. Having this many days in a row with hard freezes is breaking a 50 year record.

I don't like it, at ALL!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    We had 17 year record breaking lows this past week. Couple of days with highs at single digits and lows below zero. Of course with wind chill anything in single digits becomes minus degrees.
    What I am hoping for is that those daylily flower lovin' thrips and aphids are nipped by the cold. And the pest causing the pine trees in Kansas to die gets nipped as well. Need those lows to rebalance things some times !

[Re Florida, I read about those iguanas going into hibernation and falling out of trees! I am definitely pulling for the fruit growers--one man on the news said if he loses his strawberry crop, he'll lose the farm.]
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Florida is hurting, big TIME! I hate that because they are simply not used to these damaging freezes and not equiped. I know that a lot of money is being spent to try to protect their crops.

There used to be some local, small farmers who grew strawberries and they would use sprinklers to protect them. I haven't heard much about that this year, but I doubt that with 13-14 days of below freezing temps would allow strawberries to survive.

This has been a really 'different' year with a mild December followed by such a long period of hard freezes.

Just a few more days to go, and temps should go back to normal. I am ready for THAT!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread