+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Amaryllis not blooming

Amaryllis not blooming

Ok, here's the deal... I (well my wife, actually) got this Amaryllis for Christmas 2 years ago. We followed the instructions on the box. It was a little cool in the room, so nothing happend for about 4 months. Finally, it sent up leaves. I had the plant in my brightest room, with grow lights, but it never bloomed. The leaves stayed healthy and green, and in July or so, I put it on my porch where it got half-a-day's sun. Finally, the leaves started to yellow in late fall, and the plant went fully dormant after I brought it back in the house for the year. I put it in the fridge for a couple months and pulled it out and put it in our brightest window, getting about 4 hours of sun and I watered it. It started sending up leaves, 2 at first, then 2 more, and now 1 more. The longest leaves are about 12"-18" long, and the one in the center, which is clearly, just a leaf is about 10" or so. What are we doing wrong. I can't believe these things are this hard.

Bill Gauch.

Pesky amaryllis

Bill-my only experience with these is a seed I germinated as a teenager, which plant I now have in the same pot it was transplanted into about 30 years ago. It's a bit of a wonder plant, must get around to repotting the poor thing. Anyway, it flowers reliably every spring for us.

The grow lights work great if you've gottem, coz it is hard to work with windows--south facing would be best but it's still only half the light it would get outdoors. I have done little fertilizing of mine, and it just conserves it's resources in those bulbs, and grows a bit all summer. Personally, I have never done the refrigerator thing, just let it naturally die down in fall with the shorter daylengths, and kept it just a teensy bit moist.

I suspect you were sold a bulb with no flower bud inside, but it really should have been able to bulk up enough in another year in order to flower. Therefore, I think it could use more light during the summer, and get it to grow as much as possible now--I would give it a bit of control release fert. or whatever you use, and maybe find a sheltered area outdoors to let it take advantage of the summer there. And like I mentioned, maybe forget about the fridge, altho it can handle the cold in there, just not freezing obviously. But mostly they seem to keep dormant thru drying off and the natural daylength change. Starts to grow in spring by itself, and the watering has to be increased accordingly.

Don't know if this helps any, but just keep on growing, it's bound to hear it's biological clock ticking one of these years---come on--reproduce!!!--Glen in BC

Glen pretty well said what I was going to say. If the bulb you have is one of the hybridized ones, you don't need to put it in the refrigerator. After they bloom, I take mine outside and let them bask in the shade. Then, I bring them back indoors before the first frost.
    The hardier ones that I have planted in the ground get quite a bit of sun and appear to do okay. Some people around here leave them in the ground all year (in shade), but I haven't gotten enough nerve to try that yet.

This past year, I missed bringing one in and to my amazement, it survived the 20 degree hard freezes despite the fact that it is in a small pot. It looked fine, but I thought I might have damaged it because it didn't send up a bloom stalk or leaves when the others did. Fortunately, it is just now starting to sprout leaves, and it definitely has not bloomed.

It is best to let the soil dry out in between watering. Dry is better than too wet. Between the thick roots and the bulb size, it can retain moisture for quite some time if you let them dry out. And like Glen said, they don't appear to need very much fertilizer.

As to the amount of light, all of mine bloomed fine in the patio which gets little or no direct sun. The bloom stalks grow taller if they don't get enough sun and will sometimes need staking or you can prop the pot against something so that the weight of the blooms on the long stalk doesn't make the pot tumble over.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

More Amaryllis Info

Bill,
    I was researching another plant and "happened upon" this interesting information on growing Amaryllis. There are some good points in this article. I'll not plagiarize the article but post the link instead.

Growing a blooming Amaryllis year after year

Shari

+ Reply to Thread