+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Propagating Kalanchoe

Threaded View

Blog Entries

Propagating Kalanchoe

I have a rescue Kalanchoe that revived and grew beautiful outside over summer. It has been inside for a few weeks and developed yellow leaves here and there but once groomed looks fine(it came in wet but since went dry and was in need of water).
    As I was grooming it this morning, I noticed what looked to be white roots coming out of the segment nodes on the stems. Is this how Kalanchoe is propagated ?
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Cathy,

They are easy to propagate by stem or leaf cuttings, I usually do leaf cuttings by simply placing the leaf on top of the soil, waiting for those white roots to sprout on the leaf stem, then planting.

Obviously, stem cuttings will give you quicker results.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazed_Lily View Post
    I have a rescue Kalanchoe that revived and grew beautiful outside over summer. It has been inside for a few weeks and developed yellow leaves here and there but once groomed looks fine(it came in wet but since went dry and was in need of water).
    As I was grooming it this morning, I noticed what looked to be white roots coming out of the segment nodes on the stems. Is this how Kalanchoe is propagated ?

Those little white roots are an indicator that your humidity might be a bit too high, but not really damaging to the plant. My various Jade/Crassula plants get them too. Eventually those rooted leaves will fall off and anchor to the soil to grow new plants. Natures way of survival of the genus/species as this only occurs during periods of sufficient moisture in both air and ground to insure the plant's survival.

Pretty neat, don't cha think!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    Thank you Ladies ! I'll be starting several Kalanchoes now. Hmmm...interesting observation about humidity. I hope that's the case as I brought my orchids upstairs and hung them(3 tier wire mesh basket) next to the window about 6 feet from the Kalanchoe.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

+ Reply to Thread