+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5
1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Family

Family

Oh, so sad.... IT HURTS!

My mother has been diagnosed with 99% pancreatic cancer.

I am sort of at a loss... This is quite sudden!

Tears flow...

Ann
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries

Family

Main Entry: 1fam·i·ly
    Pronunciation: \ˈfam-lē, ˈfa-mə-\
    Function: noun
    3 a : [b]a group of people united by certain convictions or a common affiliation : fellowship

Ann- Words cannot take the place of a hug which I so much want to give to you right now. Please know that you are like family--I am sure to all of us on Landspro. Do not worry about Landspro while you are there for your Mother. I will pray for you Mother, you and your family.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Ann, I am so sorry to hear this bad news. My prayers are with you and your family.
    tennessee sue

Blog Entries
    Ann,

My dear, sweet friend, I am so saddened to hear this about your Mom. I know how close you are and how this unexpected diagnoses has sent you reeling. I can certainly sympathize/empathize with you.

My prays for strength and all else you and your family will need to get though this. I just don't know what else to say. . . .

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Oh, somehow I missed the news. I thought the latest news was about Tiger being found. So sorry to hear about your Mom. Will keep her in my prayers.
    Dave

Ann , I am putting your mother in my prayers. I know that the pain of finding out ,I had the same reaction when I found out what my mother was dying from. Here is a great big hug for you ((((((Ann)))))). Any time you need to talk remember we are here for you.
    Daylilies are the Lord's smile, a new one everyday

My brother called me just as I was walking to my car after school.

He put me on the speaker phone with my Mom. In the background, I heard the voice of my deceased brother's wife (now a NUN) and she said that she and my nephew are here (both from Victoria, TX). Then I heard the voice of my older sister, so she is here from Texas. Of course, my younger sister is there as well, but she has to pick up her little ones from school.

Then Mama tried to tell me what happened today. The best that I could understand is that she had surgery this morning to drain her liver (inflammed) to make her feel better. She has severe jaundice. She said it was successful. She got tired and let my brother talk to me.

It is difficult because I don't know how much my mother knows about her condition, but I can tell that she was very pleased to have so many family members around her and the good news that she survived the morning surgery.

What I was able to get my brother to tell me is that the surgery to remove the cancer would be too much for my mother. She is 78 and there are too many other health, mainly heart issues to sustain such massive surgery.

They did take samples, and will be running tests on those to determine the extent of the cancer.

Since I am sick and my co-sponsor for Robotics baby (2 years old) has just been diagnosed with swine flu, there is no way that I would take the chance of being around my mother right now. For sure, she doesn't need to have pneumonia or anything else on top of that, and I inherited my sinus problems from her, most likely.

I tried to get my brother to tell me how long, but I could tell that he couldn' talk about it, so I will wait.

I just want to know when she can come home and what happens next. I know nothing...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Well...

I seemed to be able to separate the posts from the kitten thread to a new one that Cathy started.

It is not a good time for me to be sick, but I have slept for the better part of two days.

I did manage to talk to all of my siblings. Each attempt to talk to my mother resulted in massive confusion, but at least she knows who I am and I told her I loved her and would see on her Wednesday. She is on morphin for pain, 3 times a day for now. They are saying that she may be able to make it until the Christmas holidays, but I gather that is not likely.

Thankfully, her doctors and my family agree that she does not need to know that she could die any day. I hate it that they told her 2 weeks to 6 months, but truth be known, I don't think she is able to understand.

She will go home in a day or two. Hospice has already been set up as well as a certified nurse.

I feel so lost. There is not a thing that I can do to help her...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann- Hospice is wonderful; they will be of great help and comfort to your Mother, you and your family.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

I will second Dazed_lily in the use of Hospice. Hospice was there for my mother when she was dying and made sure that she was in no pain and did everything to do to make her passing easier.
    Daylilies are the Lord's smile, a new one everyday

Ann
    Just to let you know you are in my thoughts during this very difficult time for you
    Abby
    Abby

Blog Entries
    Ann,

I know that feeling of helplessness and being "lost". We get through it. I am also very sure your Mom knows what's going on, probably better than her doctors do. I am sorry though that she has to be in pain and have to go through the confusion that morphine can cause. Hospice will be the saving grace for her as well as you and the family.

You WILL get to see your Mom and tell her all the things you want/need to before she makes her finale journey. Right now you need to concentrate on getting well yourself. God's speed for a quick and full recovery from this bug you have. Don't worry about having slept so much, that's your body healing itself, bot physically as well as spiritually.

My heart hurts for you, your Mom and your family and I wish for all of you Peace as your Mom prepares for her finale voyage into that sweet sleep that will take her home to the Lord. our Lord.

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Rebecca,

Thanks to the tropical storm IDA, they let us come home two hours early yesterday, and we are off today and tomorrow is a holiday. The heavy winds started about midnight and woke me up frequently. OH! That is putting it too nicely. The winds woke me up ALL night long...

It is still very windy and extremely cold. At least that wind is cold when it constantly gusts in your face.

My Mama has lots of company, so I haven't had but a little time to talk to her.

The internet has been up and down, mostly down this morning

Ann
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    I haven't heard but a blip about Ida,so will have to start watching her, hopefully she blows herself out quickly and leaves us/US alone.

How's you cold/flu; better/worse? Hopefully by week's end you can go visit your Mom.

Keeping you both in my thoughts.

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Ida was mostly rain and wind. A few power lines down, but not bad at all.

Mama's spirits are better than I expected. She simply says that she is very tired and weak.

Certainly, she has been enjoying the relatives that have been here from Texas. I doubt that she has had even one moment alone since she went into the hospital.

Well, it's time for me to rest. School again tomorrow... Two days left this week, and I will rest more this weekend, hopefully be able to visit my mother and maybe even do some gardening. The weather is perfect!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5
1 2 3 4 5 LastLast