+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2009 BESTinc.org Robotics - High Octane

2009 BESTinc.org Robotics - High Octane

Hi, Everyone!

I miss lp terribly, but my life is consumed by classes of what they called recycled students and robotics.

The local 2009 High Octane competition is this weekend. This year, we are going for the full award, but it is doubtful that we will have enough ready to really compete to get best in everything. I have parent mentors out sick, president of the club out sick, etc., etc... At least, we can say that we tried.

I have some really good students on our robotics team this year.

No photos of the robot yet, but I promise to post them.

Here are pictures of what will be part of our presentation booth...

Our theme this year is "Dinos". We are getting out of the ancient ages and moving toward non-gasoline fuel.

Koodos for our art students. These paintings are on cardboard.

I thought you all might want to know that I did not die or something. It's called 80+ hours per week and terribly far behind.

It is for a good cause. I believe in the futures of an engineers, artists and kids...

After Saturday, I will get to live more of a normal life, hopefully order some more amaryllis and start repotting for those that I wish to go dormant.

I will post more pictures of the competition this year.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Good to hear from you Ann

I was beginning to worry about you, you must have read my mind.

Glad to hear you are out there battling the school environment and all is Ok with you.

Definitely some budding artists there.
    Abby

Thanks, Abby!

I am running on a new home desktop, and I have not had time to find my photo software disk to resize photos. When I do, I will resize the photos taken by the art teacher.

For now, I share some more photos and give you a better idea of what I have been doing after school and on the weekends.

The students are brainstorming ideas about the robotic arm using the supplies provided to us in the kit.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

In the midst of all this activity, I arrived at school to find my whiteboard and the old chalkboard taken off the wall and a new SmartBoard installed. This gave me 90 minutes to get the bulletin board moved and the white board back up so that I could teach my lessons for that day.

Here you see the students using the SmartBoard to select photos for our Powerpoint presentation...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I do not have the latest pictures of our robot. Those will follow, after I get some sleep. The robot is in the back of my station wagon, and I am too tired to unload it and take pictures. Hopefully, I will do that later in the day.

Here is what I have...
    Attached Images    
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Three of our drivers in the entrance parade at the competition...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Our drivers in the pit area during the competition...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Our drivers at the competition...
    Attached Images    
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

We didn't score high enough to be in the semi-finals, but based on our project notebook, we were chosen for to compete for the final wild card slot for the last round for being in the semi-finals. We waited and waited and waited. It may have been only an hour, but it seemed like many hours as we waited.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

The final decision...

We were bumped and didn't get to compete to be in the semi-finals.

Needless to say, it was an exciting day. The principal at our school came at just the right time. I gave him a pass to the pit area so that he could see all of the other team's robots.

He is impressed and now has a better idea of what we are doing. It's not football. It's not soccer. It's not cheerleading. It's not basketball. It is academic. It is about building the future of our engineers.

Now, he knows...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Sorry y'all got bumped, but at least the kids enjoyed it and the Principal learned something. Hopefully that will make things easier next year/time and you could get some help, should you decide to continue as "leader" in this.

Congrats on a job well done!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Thanks, Rebecca!

Here is a clip from our local news station. Obviously, the reporter was in error about our mission. Mars was two years ago. The mission this year was making fuel with water (racquet balls), carbon dioxide (globe beach balls), catalyst (tennis balls) and energy (tomatoe paste cans). We had to transmit infrared signals to dispense the energy, but the field didn't work correctly.

Anyway, here is the clip.... Make sure to click on the play button for the brief video!

http://www.wkrg.com/alabama/article/...-2009_9-52-pm/
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Aztec Marine Services became aware of the fact that we were using tools primarily from my home. Every year, they give us $100 in gift certificates for tools, but this year, they did something extra special.

Aztec Marine Services gave us an additional $100 for tools which was so severely needed. OMG! My students don't know how to use these tools because they have never been exposed to them before.

I cannot express in the right words how much my students learn from this program. It is remarkable!

The most frequent question that I get in my math classes is "When will we ever use this." Well... This is WHEN!

Many thanks to Aztec Marine Services!!! I gave him a BIG HUG, and he deserves THAT!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Well Ann, I must say - I'm very impressed!

I think someone else deserves a big hug, and that is you!

You have made a life long change in some of those students lives! Congratulations on a job well done!
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Wow, Ann...you're an amazing teacher. If you could be paid even 1/2 what you're worth (which I'm sure you're NOT) I bet we could all be working on your hippie farm. Congratulations, because I saw all winners in those photos...and THANK YOU . It's so obvious that this is not a profession...it's a calling. I imagine your crown's going to be very heavy.
    Patsy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast