+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hard Freeze tonight

Blog Entries

Hard Freeze tonight

and so it goes.......
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Oh!

Wow!

That is tough! We are so very hot here. I have not even thought about freezes.

Are you ready?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Houseplants are in.
    Covered a few daylilies that might have to be moved. Had to laugh, my dog slept on top of the heavy curtain placed over Rebecca's daylilies-so they were extra warm.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Wow, it looks like your place is colder than Michigan!

I forgot where you are located, Cathy. I have been looking over my old envelops. Are you in KS?
    Dave

Yep! Cathy is in the city with the most extreme temperature changes - in Kansas! She gets hotter than here and colder than here.

I did look at the 10 day forecast for here, and I was surprised to see that there are some really low temperatures in the next 10 days, but thankfully, nothing near freezing.

It will happen soon, and I am no where near ready for it.

Thanks, Cathy for the reminder that our hot days will suddenly revert to COLD and freezing. Soon, but thankfully not this week!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Wichita, Kansas has some of the weirdest weather around and a few days after Cathy sees it, I usually get it here in central IN.(Although with some modifications It is, has been and is forecast to be colder than normal here for at least the next week. Supposed to get back to the 60's next Monday, but THAT won't last long. No frosts in the forecast but I did see some "iffy" night temp forecasts and low lying areas could get a bit of frost.

Plenty cold enough for me as I am already freezing and probably won't feel really warm again until next summer!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

It was 48 degrees when I woke up this morning. Quite a mild day, I would say.... It was blowing hard and my Robotics team was trying to use spray paint outside today. What a trip it was to watch them!

According to the local forecast, we are going to get into the very low 40's in the next few days.

I enjoy these nice temps while they last, but they don't last long here. We tend to go from HOT to cold and not a lot in between.

Right now, I would love to do gardening, but instead, I am learning to program in C language, so that we can get this robot going for this years competition which is in 2 weeks. Lack of resources has been a tremendous problem, so I'm about to tell the administrator to find another sponsor next year.

I had no clue that this Robotics thing was going to eat so much of my time. It wouldn't be so bad if they would NOT give me repeat failing classes.

Just dumped...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Don't know if one could say we had a hard freezer here, since it didn't get down to 32° until 8AM and then warmed up almost immediately to 35° by 9AM! Looking out my kitchen window the Hymenocallis and Canna do not appear to have much, if any, freeze damage and the potted Vinca plants, that are up in the air so to speak, do not appear to have been phased at all. (They are outside so I can harvest seeds, the Hyme and canna are needing a good frost/freeze to get them into dormancy.)

7am
    33° F
    Partly Cloudy

8am

30° F
    Sunny

9am

35° F
    Sunny

10am

41° F
    Sunny

Our next 5 days are looking really nice:

Sunday, Oct 18

High: 55 °F RealFeelŪ: 54 °F
    Cool with sunshine

Sunday Night, Oct 18

Low: 34 °F RealFeelŪ: 34 °F
    Clear

Monday, Oct 19

High: 62 °F RealFeelŪ: 58 °F
    A full day of sunshine

Monday Night, Oct 19

Low: 47 °F RealFeelŪ: 48 °F
    Patchy clouds

Tuesday, Oct 20

High: 64 °F RealFeelŪ: 63 °F
    Some sun

Tuesday Night, Oct 20

Low: 49 °F RealFeelŪ: 45 °F
    Mostly clear

Wednesday, Oct 21

High: 69 °F RealFeelŪ: 67 °F
    Nice with periods of clouds and sun

Wednesday Night, Oct 21

Low: 51 °F RealFeelŪ: 47 °F
    Partly cloudy

Thursday, Oct 22

High: 68 °F RealFeelŪ: 65 °F
    Mostly cloudy and breezy with a couple of showers and thunderstorms possible

Thursday Night, Oct 22

Low: 50 °F RealFeelŪ: 45 °F
    Rain and drizzle in the evening; otherwise, overcast

Looking like "Indian Summer" is here and then it will all be downhill from there . GUESS I'm ready, as ready as I ever am for winter/hibernation time!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Unfortunately, there was frost here this morning. It took some time to melt the ice on my windshield. Temps were only around 40, but 39-40 seems to be enough to ice down the vehicle in my little valley.

I don't see a lot of frost damage to plants, but there is some.

No hard freeze yet... That will come in November or December. One never knows around here.

I don't panic as badly as I used to!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Supposed to get to 70° here tomorrow, nice! Back last week when we were having "freezing temps" the one thing I notices was there was no ice on the pond, so apparently it has not been getting as cold in my yard as it has been where the posted temps have been taken. I am sure the difference is only a degree or two, but this time of year a degree can make a big difference.

Hosta leaves are yellowing and all the coleus I didn't carry over are "done in and the Red Twig Dogwood's leaves and bark are getting their lovely red color. I haven't been out to really lok at it but am sure the Lantana I planted in the Tree Bed has been knocked back some, but not from frost damage (no blackened leaves), just from cold. It did really well in the Tree Bed. I will leave it until spring to help protect the mini rose I grew from a cutting I have planted there. I may have to plant a different one there next year. . . . This bed is undergoing some changes with the addition of the mini-rose and a new "Coral Bells" and another Blackberry Lily (may not stay) and the changes made in the resident Daylilies. Mioght even put a few spring bulbs in there this fall.

Doesn't do any good to get into a panic over the weather, plants make it or they don't and some surprise us with their adaptability and hardiness. We also always somehow manage to get all the tender ones brought in just in time.

Only weather that makes me nervous is wind, high wind when coupled with those nasty super cell T-storms. Can't do anything about them though, they just make me nervous.

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

+ Reply to Thread