+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Been gone too long!

Been gone too long!

Hello all my friends!
    Sorry to have been gone so long. It has been a trying summer here, and
    to top it off, I had rotator cuff repair surgery on the 2nd of Sept. I started
    OT on the 23rd and they are pleased with my progress so far. I just have to
    remember to NOT use that shoulder yet. It was a very bad tear and he also
    removed 2 bone spurs. Ahhhh! what a relief. Even with the ache of not being
    able to use it normal, it is A LOT better! I thought it was going to be 5 little holes, but no I had damaged it so bad, was almost unfixable. That was
    scary. So now I have a nice 5" scar on top of my shoulder. But I surely would not hesitate to do it again. I did have 2 months of therapy in the summer, and that helped temporarily, along with a cortisone shot.
    The middle of Aug., Rebecca & Duane (BF), Jordan, and I went on a 5 day road trip to Hickory, NC to pick up my grand daughter Allyson, from her grand parents there. It was a beautiful scenic trip. It's been 30 yrs. since I've been that way.
    We had a great summer here, and a nice amount of rain. So the gardens grew great. I also finally installed the 3 ponds that I've had for 4 yrs. They turned out really nice. I put them on the side of the mound that lines the driveway. I never liked that spot before and just ignored it. I also put a shade garden in the corner and will make a seating area over there also. It is
    not finished yet, just couldn't seem to get it done before the surgery. But I made a helluva dent in it. LOL! I think it will turn out to be one of my favorite spots in the yard.
    My battery pack died in my camera, so I have to get another one very soon. I've missed a bunch of blooms, cause it's no fun when your camera don't run.
    Here is a few of the last pics and it is much further along now. I will post a pic of how it looks now, when I get my batteries. I was tickled how the 'spillways' turned out.
    Hope everyone is doing well and being good.
    Love,
    Vicki
    Attached Images        
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Thanks for the update Vicky
    I felt the pain as I read about your surgery Ouch!!!
    Your ponds will look nice once they are all fixed up.
    In our warm climate a water feature would cause a mosquito problem
    Abby

Vicky, wishing you a speed recovery!

The ponds look nice. I have thought about putting one but still haven't....

Abby, I read that putting some mosquito fish in the water feature will take care of mosquito problem. I have no first-hand experience though.
    Dave

Yes David
    That would be a possibility but I've been thinking more in the line of a frog pond, if I can source some native to the area tadpoles it may be a goer.
    Abby

Blog Entries
    Vicki,

your ponds are beautifully arranged! If they are deep enough you may be able to keep goldfish or koi in them year round, they will also take care of any insects, especially skeeter! But so will Guppies and other live bearer, 'cept you gotta bring them in for winter. I keep goldfish in my above ground pond but decided to bring them in this year . (They are in the basement in a 29 long tank.)

I've long wanted to build a box of some type around my 125 gallon stock tank so it didn't look so much like what it really is but the best I've been able to do is a small raised bed across the front half of it! The tank has settled some since placed on the far corner of the patio and some day I need to re-do the entire area! Maybe then I can build or have built) a nice raised bed all around the "pond". Not having a lot of room to work with makes something harder to do that others!

You take it easy on the shoulder!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Hi Vicki...think I've may have been gone-er than you have since I'm just now finding your update. Glad to see your surgery has gone as well as possible. Your ponding looks like a great success. I often think the construction of mine brought me as much satisfaction as the never ending 'finishing touches'. You've been given plenty of suggestions so I'll just say --- PLEASE TAKE YOUR TIME AND HAVE FUN WITH IT while still guarding that shoulder !
    Patsy

+ Reply to Thread