+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Citrus

Threaded View

Citrus

The last of the citrus to be harvested as new blooms begin to form

Imperial Mandarin

Meyer Lemon

My brother makes home made juices for the markets and should be down to pick them this weekend

Naval Orange

Abby

AbbyJen,your citrus is beautiful. Our navels ripen in late November,through Christmas. I love the way they smell, but I am allergic to the hydrocarbons in the scent. My neighbor,behind me has a large tree and lets me have most of the fruit for my family.I suffer while it blooms and enjoy the ripe fruit. I've been the one to fertilize and water it the past few years.
    Del

They are lovely!

You must have so many that your brother can pick them for the market!?
    Dave

Oh Abby, I could be SO envious...but am not. Instead I'm just very great-full you allow us to peek over your shoulder. Thank you for sharing the luscious photos. Surely you've been blessed w/ten green thumbs
    Patsy

Patsy
    I wish I could give you a taste
    I shall miss the fresh citrus the taste is just so very different to that you buy in the shops. But the blooms should bring another crop in summer.

I have two varieties of mandarins which extends the season.

Dave
    Yes the Meyer lemon is a prolific bearer. Brother freezes the juice and then makes the cordial using the ice blocks as he requires them.

Del
    I feel for you being alergic to the citrus bloom - it is such a refreshing clean fragrance. But at least you get rewarded at the end.
    Abby

I hope no one minds me pinging this thread but I have a question regarding the feeding/fertilization of citrus. I'm growing my plants hydroponically and all the new growth lately has been light green in color. I don't think this is normal. So I'm wondering if someone can shed like on a nutritional requirements of citrus? I do a balanced fertilizer at half strength every watering and every other, a teaspoon of epsom salt to 2 gallons of water. The trees drink readily and will dry out their containers if I'm not careful. Because they're being grow hydroponically, I can quite easily adjust the nutrition in the water. But why are my leaves so pale? The trees get roughly 6 hours of direct sun and at least another 3-5 hours of additional high light.
    Denver Ryan
    Parker, Colorado (6500')

+ Reply to Thread