+ Reply to Thread

Thread: August Lily

Threaded View

August Lily

Lycoris Squamigera, Surprise Lilly...

I think I must have this one in too much shade. It always blooms nicely, but there are not as many flowers on them as some others around. Also, they do not seem to produce as many offsets as I would like. Any body have suggestions on propagation or how to improve conditions for them?
    Attached Images      
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Sorry Tom that I cannot be of assistance in the propagation of this lily but it sure looks pretty good to me.

I just adore the soft delicate colour

Is it fragrant?
    Abby

Tom
    If you are still about I found article on the lycoris lily popagation http://www.shieldsgardens.com/amaryl...sChipping.html
    Abby

I'm still here Abby,
    Thanks for the link, but I fear most, if not all are lost. But I still have a source for replacements.
    This past spring we had extensive damage from a tornado, and the rest of the summer was just too busy to attend to flower beds.
    I hope my neighbor had time to care for them. I now have a LOT of full sun, We lost nearly all the trees around our place.
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

So sorry to hear that Tom
    All that hard work and then nothing - must be heartbreaking but the main thing is that you are safe.
    I hope you get a good surprise this spring and all your bulbs pop up.
    Abby

Blog Entries
    Not much advice here but these things are pretty tough. I have had several growing in a pot for at least 3-4 years. I always plan to relocate them but never get to it. I must admit flowering was pitiful this year, so it must be time to relocate. I know offset production must be dependent on may things--I was wondering if the soil there is loose or packed(clay?)--that might have something to do with it as well as overall thriving.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

+ Reply to Thread