+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A New addition to family

Everthing I have I have read about long haired dauschunds indicates that they don't molt in summer or winter . The long hair comes in as the pup grows. It is a gradual growth so it shows up as hair flowing over his collar at first then over his harness.
    Daylilies are the Lord's smile, a new one everyday

Sweet Thing looses hair on her legs in the summertime and looks as if she is wearing a cape - I think she may have a bit of the Crested Chinese dog in her genes beside the Maltese.
    Abby

Coal was barking at a plastic bag that was kept moving by the air current caused by the ceiling fan while we were eating the evening meal. He wouldn't go near that bag for nothing. It was so cute. He thought it was something dangerous.

An update on Coal, he has learned to roll over on command but not a vocal command, he responds to a visual command , a circling movement of our hand. He likes to be outside when the weather is cooler than it has been. We woke up to cooler temps on Sunday when the high never got up over the 77 degree mark so he stayed outside most of the day on the outside leash. He likes to watch the cars go by on Lowry Ave and then will wander around the yard over near my daylily beds. He likes to nibble on the weeds growing around the base.

Blog Entries
    How's about a new pix of Coal? Bet he's really grown! Like the trick he's learned and so great that he responds to hand commands instead of verbal ques. Makes Coal one smart little fellow!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

I have to wait till my camera recharges. Right now the battery is slow to recharge.

Thumbs up

As promised here is a new picture of Coal. He hasn't gotten too much bigger though.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by DaylilyDawn; 10-24-2009 at 09:12 AM. Reason: to edit my sentence , missing a word

Another view, he likes to turn that right front paw out to the side every time he sits like that.
    Attached Images  

Here he is trying to avoid the flash so his eyes are closed.
    Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    Dawn,

While Coal may not be much bigger he does show maturity and his coat seems to be developing nicely. He will be quite the handsome boy when his coat is in and he has matured into a young dog. Any plans to enter him into the show circuit?

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Well imagine that how quickly they grow - a puppy no more
    Almost ready for guard duties.
    Abby

I don't think my daughter plans to show him since he turns his foot out even when standing up. Also his coat doesn't seem to be coming in like a full long haired does. He has one parent that was a long haired, his mother was a short haired smooth coat. His hairs on his back are longer than his mother's coat but not as long as his father's coat. His father's coat is long enough to touch the ground when walking
    His tail has longer hair that defys combing, it looks like fireworks coming out of the end of it' Look closer at the photo where he has his eyes closed and check out the tail.

My daughter says that Coal's mother was a miniature dachshund. That means Coal may be in between the size of a regular sized dachshund and the miniature dachshund. He stole a cough drop from me earlier this evening. He had gotten part of it licked down to the size of a piece of dry dog food before I noticed he was eating something.

My grandson is eating sunflower seeds and leaving the shells every where even when we tell him o pick them up. Coal has found a few of them and likes to chew on the shell. He has also found unopened shells and tried to eat it so I cracked it opened and offered the seeds to Coal to see if he would eat it, and he did , he likes them.

Blog Entries
    Coal very well may be an in between size and have an in between coat, possibly feathered more like an Irish Setter, or should I say a working setter whose coats are not as extreme and well defined.

I figured the foot would be a serious show fault, but one never knows. He might be great for 4-H Dog Shows though. Everyone wins there and it is good training for children who may want to become dog handlers.

Flaws and all, Coal is one neat dog! Nuts might not hurt him but keep those cough drops away from him!

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast