+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: OT: Kitten

Thank you, Rebecca and ALL!

As you can see, he was pretty scraggly and unheathy when Hunter first brought him home.

I was concerned about the trauma that he was going through with the pain of the left eye, but he obviously does not blame either that or the loss of that eye due to anything that we have done.

He is so frisky, so friendly, so loving. He is still being confined to Hunter's room. It seems best that way. He adores Taco, Hunter's chihuahua but is not fond of the other cats.

For sure, it is obvous that Hunter loves this kitten.

So far, so good...

It is so wonderful to know that he is safe. Certainly, he had plenty of places to hide.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I haven't forgotten. A picture will be taken of this kitten. He has really grown, and yesterday, my former neighbor, Ray, came by to visit. I ran into the house to get Tiger to show to him. Tiger was horrified at being outside. Apparently, he learned his lesson the hard way.

At first, Tiger resided in Hunter's bedroom. Slowly, but surely, we let him venture into the main portions of the house. He and the chihuahua hit it off immediately. They played and played, but it took time for our other cats to accept him.

Now, he plays and plays with all of them. He scratches at my bedroom door at about 3am and tries very hard to get inside, but is learning that my space is not allowed.

When I see him with one eye closed, I am in awe because he is so happy now. He is so frisky and wants to play constantly. He somehow managed to get a roll of toilet paper. What a MESS! Thankfully, the roll had very little left on it, and I removed the tissue and let him play with the roll itself.

Unlike the children that I have taught with missing hands, etc., the kitten doesn't know that he is handicapped or disfigured. He is as normal and happy as can be.

He is so very happy to be alive and loved... Hunter adores him!

He adores Hunter, but somehow figured out that he loves me as well!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Well, of course, Tiger has bonded with you! Hunter will always be his "person" though! I love that he and the dog hit it off and that the others have come around and accepted Tiger as well. Animals are (as a rule) very accepting of those who mean them no harm and since they live in the now are all very good at adapting to hardships like loss of a limb or vision. Animals seem to take everything in stride!

Many, many years ago I has a wonderful Sheppard mix who would climb the fence of her pen whenever the St. Bernard from up the street showed up. She didn't like him and would run him all the way home. She also likes to just go about and visit the neighborhood.

She did this one time and was missing for several days and when she finally made it home she had seriously injured one of her hind legs. It had to be amputated. A week later she was once again climbing the fence and chasing that St. Bernard all the way home. She did give up her other little journeys though.

She did not know there was anything wrong with her.

It will be nice to see a recent images of Tiger to see how much he has grown!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Tiger and Taco bonded in a special way.

When Tiger was kept in the protective quarters of Hunter's bedroom, you could see his tiny paws reaching under the bedroom door. Taco would play with the paws in fascination.

It's funny, but Taco always wanted to get to the little newborn kittens to play with them. When Tiger was allowed to roam the main house freely, he and Taco played like little children. You had to watch where you stepped because they would be running and playing right under your feet.

Taco has no clue that he is not a cat. It's so funny to watch. What a BLAST!!!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Isn't it wonderful that they made friend before even seeing each other? Something like how we have been able to "connect" and how we have been able to connect with others w/o regard to physical differences.

I can appreciate their joy and how "child-like" their enthusiasm at being able to play with so much abandon!

We can learn a lot from our pets and from all animals.

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Well, they are something else! All of them, but for some reason, Tiger is quite special to Hunter. He keeps saying, "I LOVE my Kittie!"

I tried hard to get a good picture tonight, but the kitten's remaining eye is quite sensitive to light. It is possible that he will lose eyesight in that eye, but hopefully, we have prevented total loss of the eye. He can obviously see, and he is by far the most active and playful kitten that we have ever had.

The cat with the eyes fully open is Simba. The one with the one squinty eye is Tiger. It's his left eye (your right) that was removed. It has healed wonderfully despite his disappearance for a few days.

I tried even harder to get a shot of Tiger swatting at Simba. It's a sight to behold to see this smaller cat swatting at big old Simba when Simba thinks he owns this home.

Tiger is by far the most loveable kitten we have ever had. Simba? Well, he has a fetish for my fingers, but has learned to behave....
    Attached Images        
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Two very nice "Marmalade" kitties! My marmalade is sleeping on the desk, wrapped around the keyboard!

Simba seems to have a "mackerel" pattern on his side while Tiger has faint tiger stripes!

Thanks for getting images of Tiger and Simba, they'll be fast friends for life and Simba may become Tiger's "Seeing Eye Cat", if Taco doesn't beat him to the job!

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

The little one is a cute kitten. Simba is a healthy looking big ole cat. He has a beautiful coat.
    Del

Simba is a sweetie pie! For such a huge cat, he is the most mild natured of all. He also likes boxes, so every time I get something packaged in a box, it it left for a week or two for him to get inside.

Each and all have a very different personality.

Tiger's remaining eye is not yellow and actually looks brown. The pupil is more round and somewhat irregular, but OMG! You'd never know that he doesn't see well. He is playful and demands to be held and LOVED! He thoroughly enjoys every moment of attention and affection that he can get.

Last night, I was trying to work on a printer problem, and every cable that I touched was a toy to Tiger. I finally had to put him in a spare room with the door shut. He didn't like that at all, but there are times when I don't need his playful help!

Sometimes, he helps me type. I guess he thinks my fingers are moving because they want to play. Slowly, but surely, he will learn that this is a NO-NO!

Thankfully, they are ALL asleep right now. It's been a busy day.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann,

I have yet to meet an orange or "Marmalade Cat" that wasn't laid-back and easy going or very loving and affectionate. I think it's tied to the color! Tiger is being a typical marmalade kitten, extremely playful! As for eye-sight and the lask thereof, I think he has already proved that he doesn't need his eyes to see. And his other eye is not normal to be sure so how much sight he has in it is questionable. He does "see", however, but with his whiskers and with sound. would also imagine his sense of smell is heightened as well

Now then as for kitties and keyboards. . . . mine had been good about not walking on mine until lately and they have really brought up some strange things (pages) and caused some freaky things to happen as well as written strange messages! They also turn my printer on from time to time and have even tried to scan and print or use the copier! I get some odd looking papers!

I wouldn't trade a single one of my furkids in though, no matter how aggravated they make me get at times! That purr is better than Prozac!

Rebecca

Here's Indy Boy, Tommie and the Queen of the Pride, Baby. Yes, that is a large pot saucer she is sleeping in! She's old and senile!
    Attached Images      
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    I am glad there is still a slice of the forum for our other outdoor encounters with God's creatures ! I'd happy to share a most unusual experience that happened last Friday. I was driving to work. Exited from one highway onto another and then a (heavily travelled) ramp that feeds yet another highway. On that ramp, at 50-55 MPH, a small black kitten dropped out from under the pick up truck in front of me!!!
    I immediately pulled over to the shoulder and got out afraid to look back and see a squished kitten. There was nothing in the road. I began to walk back along the right shoulder looking and looking. Interestingly only one car stopped, behind my car, from which I was quite far from by then. The car left. I was mystified where the kitten could have gone. I decided to look on the left side of the ramp. I saw a black shadow behind a tiny clump of winter dried grass(that's how small he was). I folded my scarf and placed it over the kitten as I picked it up assuming it would be wild and fight. It did not struggle. One car was kind enough to stop on the ramp and let me cross. I had to be careful getting back into my car as there was passing traffic. I basically had to 'toss' the kitten into the passenger seat. The last I saw him he was spread eagled across the passenger widow trying to get out and then he disappeared. I didn't look at/for him until I got to work. Then, I couldn't find him. The first person I saw when I went inside, upon hearing "I have a kitten in my car', said "I'll take it!". We then spent the next 3 hours trying to find it in my car. I was starting to think co-workers doubted my sanity ! We even bought and placed a can of cat food in the car. Then, I looked one more time, this time laying on my back on the passenger side looking up under the dash and there, under the middle part of the dash, were two tiny green eyes looking at me. I then got the girl who said she'd take it and, between her gently pulling and me gently pushing his tushy from the driver side, we got him out. What a fluff muffin. Beautiful long black fur, definitely a baby(maybe 8 weeks), calm, gentle(definitely not feral as many of the engine stowaways are--many people live on acreage with barn cats). He didn't make a sound. She was able to place him in a box next to her desk the rest of the day. He ate some of the cat food. I say 'he' but we are not sure although the thinking is more towards 'he'. He definitely liked and wanted to cuddle. I have heard he used the litter box-she has another cat(and 2 dogs). Anyway, it was quite the experience. But probably none like the one that little kitten had cruising at highway speeds under the hood of a truck and bouncing out onto a highway and being fortunate enough to make it out of the road. However, no one could see him at all. It was so cold that night, he would have surely died from hypothermia.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Awe... That is so heart warming. I wish you had a picture of "him". Would love to see that.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2